Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few quick beats after swallowing.

A few quick beats after swallowing.

Hey folks. Just need to vent about the thing that's been bugging me this week.

My anxiety is sky high and I managed to push my psychiatrist appointment a month ahead because it's been a rough ride. My anxiety always causes physical symptoms around the chest area and it's what first triggered my first panic attack all those years ago.

I go through phases of being aware of my heartbeat but every so often zone in on it and start worrying about things I've not noticed before. I then start wondering how long I've had it, if it's normal etc etc. I need to discuss it at length with my psychiatrist but I digress.

Every time I swallow, be it food, drink, air, nothing. Without fail my heart will beat quickly for 4 or 5 beats before returning to normal. I noticed it by chance while laying down one night and it's done it every time I swallow without fail.

I do have severe reflux issues and I've been on omeprazole for a very long time but this is the first I've noticed this.

Am I being dumb and everyone gets these quick beats from swallowing or could it be because of my bad stomach? I am seeing the doc about it tomorrow but please someone knock some damned sense into me!!

Pregabalin 300mg

Re: A few quick beats after swallowing.

All normal. I get the same. It is vagus nerve stimulation when you drink and swallow

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy here! I can't thank you enough!

Pregabalin 300mg

Anytime. Hope all goes well with your appointment

You mention you get some chest symptoms too. Just wondered what they were?

Mostly aches, pains and tightness in the muscles because of stress/anxiety. Also get sinking feelings at random, the best way I can describe it is the geforce effect you get on rollercoasters or sudden drops. Think this is because of the occasional palp, particularly when highly stressed. Laying down too quickly causes my chest to feel like it's throbbing, sitting up and then easing myself back down seems to fix it.

Most of my symptoms are chest related to be honest!

Pregabalin 300mg

Ah makes sense. I get the same actually. Do you get the skipped beats when you mean palps?

Yeah skipped beats, they only happen occasionally but when they do my chest feels like it's sank through the floor. I had an echo last year since my family has a history of a heart condition but I was cleared for that, they figured if it hasn't shown up after 26 years then chances are it'll never appear!

Pregabalin 300mg

They are a pain the rear eh? At least we aren't alone on these annoying symptom. I am also in my late 20s full workup etc done.

Definitely sounds like your vagus nerve is highly irritated from the reflux problem. I hope you can heal it soon.

Mine improved a lot from sleeping in a chair with my feet up, so the amount of any acid coming up my throat at night was reduced by good old gravity. Now it takes some bad behaviour from myself to provoke it.

That's a good idea Freakout, i've been trying to keep my upper half a little raised at night to try and keep the acid down, had a few nights where i'd wake up choking from reflux.

Saw the Doctor today and he agrees that my GERD is causing the problem and told me not to worry since he also gets it and takes the same meds as me

Many thanks for the replies, feeling much better about things now!

Pregabalin 300mg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information