Thread: Sertaline for health anxiety?

Sertaline for health anxiety?

Has anyone had success treating health anxiety with Sertaline? I started on sertaline 2 weeks ago for anxiety and postpartum depression. My mood seems better but I don't think my health anxiety is improving. I started on 25mg for 1 week, 50mg for 1 week and went up to 100mg yesterday

Sertaline for health anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Wantinglifeback View Post
    Has anyone had success treating health anxiety with Sertaline? I started on sertaline 2 weeks ago for anxiety and postpartum depression. My mood seems better but I don't think my health anxiety is improving. I started on 25mg for 1 week, 50mg for 1 week and went up to 100mg yesterday

It's taken 6 weeks for me to feel any improvement - I'm on 50mg. Some people say it takes them even longer. You will have to wait and see and then maybe go back to your doctor if you're not improving in another month or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Sertaline for health anxiety?

I had horrible anxiety. Took zoloft for 20 days. Knocked the anxiety right out of me! Had terrible side effects. It taught me how to push out the intrusive thoughts. Each person is different, what works for you might not work for the next person.

Re: Sertaline for health anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Wantinglifeback View Post
    Has anyone had success treating health anxiety with Sertaline?
    No antidepressant is intrinsically significantly better than the others, either generally, or for a specific disorder (fluvoxamine (Luvox) and clomipramine (Anafranil) for OCD may be the rule proving exceptions), however, one or two may be more effective for an individual. Whether sertraline is the best med for you only time will tell.

I started on sertaline 2 weeks ago for anxiety and postpartum depression. My mood seems better but I don't think my health anxiety is improving. I started on 25mg for 1 week, 50mg for 1 week and went up to 100mg yesterday
    Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in so you may have a way to go yet. Also, health anxiety is part of the OCD spectrum which tend to be harder to treat than other anxiety disorders. You may need to take doses near the recommended maximum 200mg/day to achieve a good outcome.

If your GP hasn't offered CBT ask him/her about this at the next consult. The more ways you attack health anxiety the better.

Thread Information