Thread: Almost passed out - scary experience.

Almost passed out - scary experience.

Dear All,

I've come to this site as another resource to help me out with my health anxiety - after reading many posts, I wanted to post my own. I have a long story to tell which I will at some point, with lessons learned and ways in which I think might help people, but I wanted to post about a recent experience I had to find out if anyone had experienced anything similar.

Generally, I experience palpitations and have learned to live with them. They come and go, and I've had the full medical work up and found I'm fit as a fiddle. However, I still sometimes get very anxious when they hit which I know is irrational but its hard to shake.

Yesterday I had a experience I've never felt before where after running for a bus, I sat down and then suddenly felt very faint, shaky, sweaty and could feel my heart beating irregularly. The experience lasted less than 10 seconds, where I shook myself out of it. Afterwards I became very anxious and struggled to cope with work the rest of the day and was checking my heart rate as the day went on. I was very tired the rest of the day and today, I feel tired and slightly less anxious. I did not go to urgent care or the ER as I decided only if it happened again.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I messaged my cardiologist and told what happened as I decided this was the right level of action but I wanted to know if this is a thing that can happen with palpitations or maybe it was something else?

Thank you all, this site is a great resource for those struggling with health anxiety issues.

Re: Almost passed out - scary experience.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
    Dear All,

I've come to this site as another resource to help me out with my health anxiety - after reading many posts, I wanted to post my own. I have a long story to tell which I will at some point, with lessons learned and ways in which I think might help people, but I wanted to post about a recent experience I had to find out if anyone had experienced anything similar.

Generally, I experience palpitations and have learned to live with them. They come and go, and I've had the full medical work up and found I'm fit as a fiddle. However, I still sometimes get very anxious when they hit which I know is irrational but its hard to shake.

Yesterday I had a experience I've never felt before where after running for a bus, I sat down and then suddenly felt very faint, shaky, sweaty and could feel my heart beating irregularly. The experience lasted less than 10 seconds, where I shook myself out of it. Afterwards I became very anxious and struggled to cope with work the rest of the day and was checking my heart rate as the day went on. I was very tired the rest of the day and today, I feel tired and slightly less anxious. I did not go to urgent care or the ER as I decided only if it happened again.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I messaged my cardiologist and told what happened as I decided this was the right level of action but I wanted to know if this is a thing that can happen with palpitations or maybe it was something else?

Thank you all, this site is a great resource for those struggling with health anxiety issues.

This happens to me everyday! You can search through my posts. I've had quite a few work ups. You were obviously worried about not catching the bus in time and then the palps started. You panicked. That seems to be what happened.

Re: Almost passed out - scary experience.

Any arrhythmia which affects how conscious you are needs to be recorded and diagnosed. Even if the arrhythmia itself is harmless, how alert you are can be very important sometimes. It could be something as simple as a run of ectopic beats as they are less efficient at pumping blood and so can make you feel faint. Anyhow, I hope it goes well.

Thread Information