Thread: Amitriptylene

Amitriptylene

Hi ive been ibs c for many years now and the constant side effect is constipation which is chronic on the other hand it makes me sleep,sometimes i wake up about 6 am with a terrible cramp just under my right ribs and i cant move im in agony,my anxiety seems to make it worse as i have trouble calming down once it starts i also take diazepam for the anxiety.

Re: Amitriptylene

Quote Originally Posted by prue1956 View Post
    Hi ive been ibs c for many years now and the constant side effect is constipation which is chronic on the other hand it makes me sleep,
    So you are on only low doses of amitripyline to treat the IBS, plus citalopram for anxiety/depression?

sometimes i wake up about 6 am with a terrible cramp just under my right ribs and i cant move im in agony,my anxiety seems to make it worse as i have trouble calming down once it starts
    Has a cause for this been investigated by your GP? When did the cramping start and how often does it occur?

i also take diazepam for the anxiety
    So only for the anxiety triggered by the cramping, or for general anxiety too?

Amitriptyline can actually cause constipation. I'm ok now on it but at first, it was one of the few side effects I had from it. xx

4. Re: Amitriptylene

Quote Originally Posted by karenp View Post
    Amitriptyline can actually cause constipation. I'm ok now on it but at first, it was one of the few side effects I had from it. xx
    same with me,i already get constipation but when i went on amitriptaline for severe nerve damage i experienced mega constipation and was woke up very early with it- 5 or 6 am,i took lactulose for it every day,now i dont have to do that.
    my doctor has doubled my ami to 20mg from next week im not looking forward to the side effects although they have been good so far,just the awful constipation.

Hi, did you get side effects going up? I'm on 150mg as from this evening but have found this med a life saver all in all. I was suffering from really bad anxiety and depression. It just wasn't quite cutting it for me so upped today x

I was told i have ibs c over 20 yrs ago after a bowel scan i have been given diazepam for my anxiety and mirtazapine to help me sleep and amitriptilene for my sciatica i also have ibuprofen gel for my arthritis in my back,i suffer with chronic wind so i have been given windeze x

Yes, I have constant stomach issues, and find eating fiber and drinking lots of water helps.

Thread Information