Thread: Panic Attacks & Worsened Anxiety Due To Grief?

Unhappy Panic Attacks & Worsened Anxiety Due To Grief?

My dad passed just a little over a week ago, and this is the first time I've ever lost anyone that close to me before. My anxiety and panic is through the roof. I've had GAD and panic disorder since I was 7 (which later worsened at age 11), but it comes in spells. I seemed to be doing pretty okay until this happened. I can't seem to get the idea of death and the future and the general unknown out of my mind. Nothing but "what if" and being skeptical has been swirling in my mind. Questioning the reality of everything and if anything is even real or matters. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and even if they haven't, if they have advice on tips to stop over-thinking / over-analyzing / worrying / driving myself insane about everything? And how long did the worst of it last, if you've had similar experiences. Thank you all ahead of time.

Edit: I've been on Sertraline (generic Zoloft) since I was 11, just in varying doses. I'm not sure if a raise in dosage would help, but I'm already at 100mg, and I have been for over three years now. But I'd also like to find a way to cope as well, not only depend on medication (although it has helped me very much throughout the years).

Re: Panic Attacks & Worsened Anxiety Due To Grief?

My mum died suddenly in December 2015. It sent my anxiety (which was nicely under control and not causing any particular issues at the time) through the roof. At first I was ok, but by April last year I was in a terrible state. By the summer (not helped with my GP mucking about with trying to change my medication, instead of sending me off for additional help) I was barely getting by. I was excusing the anxiety increases because of the grief, so didn't tackle it quickly enough. A year later on from that, I am doing a lot better and should be coming down in a medication dose (I take mirtazapine) in about a month.

I am not saying that it will go on for as long as that for you. Grief in itself causes anxiety, so with an underlying anxiety condition, it tends to go bonkers.

But it will get better over time.

Thread Information