Thread: Does anxiety caused by grief go away?

Unhappy Does anxiety caused by grief go away?

I've had anxiety for most all of my life, and I've been on Zoloft for 9 years. It's worked very good for me, I've just adjusted doses with my doctor's consent only a few times in the past. I've never had actual therapy, but I talk everything over with my mom, and I try to teach myself how to overcome things. I lost my dad less than two weeks ago, and my anxiety has been CRAZY and panic attacks have been happening (although everything was perfectly under control before this happened). My question, is does anxiety and all of these overwhelming thoughts get better as time goes on? I've thought about talking to my doctor about upping my doseage of Zoloft or even getting a therapist, but since things were okay before this, do you think if I give myself a bit more time to cope, this will start to get better without that? Like I said, I talk about my feelings with my mom, I'm already on 100mg of Zoloft, and I'm trying to teach myself healthy coping mechanisms. So do you think I'll be okay? I just need some extra reassurance. Thank you all so very much.

Re: Does anxiety caused by grief go away?

You are experiencing grief which is perfectly natural. I cannot give expert advise. Talking to a therapist certainly wouldn't hurt.

Yes, eventually. My mum died suddenly in December 2015 and it's taken a while to get the anxiety back under control. I have had to this through counselling support however, so I would recommend going through that channel as they can really help with the grief, as well as the increased anxiety.

I'm really sorry to hear about you losing your dad.

As said above, I agree that this is going to be about natural grief. It is bound to have a major emotional impact on you and that is easily going to unbalance your anxiety progress.

There is every chance tha it will settle back down as you come through the natural cycle. It makes sense to alk to your doctor for advice if you feel you need it but he/she may choose to monitor the situation to see if you can cope until you start to see it subside rather than add meds to soon. It depends on whether you/they think you can cope and it feels like this is too soon as things will be very raw, but that's really a individual thing between you & your doctor. If you feel you need it, let them make the call.

Counselling can certainly be useful. Grief is natural and they work through it with people. They can help with the anxiety side too and how to keep that on track.

I am so sorry to hear about you losing your Dad. My husband died 4 months ago and I can relate totally to how you are feeling. I go to see my GP and I've recently started counselling - both of which are helping. I am in a bad way with anxiety and physical symptoms but I am hoping that with time this will all reduce but I know I can't do it on my own. I was on Mirtrazipine 7.5 mgs for a while for nausea and came off them - big mistake - I should have talked to my doctor first. Grieving for someone is a process and talking to others in similar situations they've said it does get better.

Thread Information