Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Air Hunger"

"Air Hunger"

Hi all

Does anyone else feel they have "air hunger"?

I have had this before - it lasted a few months and then went away. This time, I have had it for about 3 months and it is driving me mad! From morning until night, I am aware that I keep taking deep breaths, yawning or sighing. If I try to consciously stop myself, I feel panicy like I am suffocating. It has become a real habit that I can't break. The problem is that it is on my mind all the time so breathing doesn't seem like a natural unconscious thing any more. I wish I could just forget about it but it is so hard to.

I am 5 months pregnant too and have suffered from heartburn, bloatedness and GERD symptoms throughout which doesn't help. My chiropracter says that my diaphragm is really tight too. I have just started a pregnancy yoga class so that may help. Can anyone recommend anything else?

I have palpitations as well and feel anxious all the time, thinking that this is something worse than it is. Any help or kind words will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Re: "Air Hunger"

Hi Jo,

I don't have health anxiety but I am aware that sometimes I sigh alot. I think it comes from being tired. As you are pregnant it ccould be from that. I also had major heartburn when I was pregnant so I feel for you. Try propping up pillows behind you as much as you can when sleeping, I found that helped me. I know it is very difficult but I think the more you focus on it the worse it will get. My advice is to discuss it with your doctor first, get plenty of rest, and when it starts to happen try your best to refocus your mind. You will be okay. It's never to early to start setting up the nursery you could focus on that. Buy something for the baby like a stuffed animal and when you get anxious just hug on to that and perhaps it will calm you down. I wish you all the luck in the world and sweet blessings.

Hugs,

Laura

Hi there - I have air hunger a lot and am always sighing and trying to take deep breaths - ive been told I hyperventilate all the time and I need to retrain my breathing but the more I focus on it the worse it gets!
    Wenjoy X

I do too sometimes-Ive never heard it be called that before- sometimes I just feel Im not breathing and try to control my breathing- This is how all my panics started actually, I thought i wasnt breathing, tried to control it, began hyperventilating then panics---->this led onto me thinking I had a nervous breakdown or schizophrenic etc. The Anxiety.......JOY!!!!

My doctor always told me I can not control my breathing, its automatic I wont stop breathing. NOw I try to make sure I breathe out of my mouth not my nose and it makes you calmer and easier.

Never look down on somebody- unless your helping them up!

I can tell you first hand of what you feel although im not pregnant ..It happens when I pay attention to my breathing..Can you imagine going from sea level to over a mile and one half above where you used to live?

Just that fact in your mind can cause you to worry about the way you breathe..Just try to take your mind off of it..It happened to me today...I woke got out of bed and felt as though someone was pushing my stomach in under my ribs and my breathing felt like it was hard to breathe.I have lived at this altitude for over a year.. Ok.. I worry too and the worry causes me to think about the breathing in which in reality I don't have problems with.

When you start thinking about your breathing concentrate on your big toe.Just start immersing yourself into the way your toe feels think about it move it around and know that there isnt much associated with your big toe that can kill you ..So if you are thinking about your big toe and the way it feels you wont be thinking about your breathing and well if you arent thinking about your breathing then you wont be worried..

Yes I deal with this almost everyday but deep down inside I know im breathing fine.. and the yawning is anxiety and all the things you say you feel about a bazillion others feel the same .. just think about something else. and it will go away..

i've had a bad day obsessing with my breathing too. i have been yawning all day. my doctor advised me to breathe to a count so i dont hyperventalate (3 seconds in and 5 out) but i hate doing that bcos i feel like i'm not getting enough air...

Yep..happens to me too.. alot..but well you have to think..if you werent breathing right.. you wouldnt be typing here nor would you be talking..They say thats how they know if someone is breathing ok..if they are talking and breathing then they are ok..and I suspect if they feel like typing then they probably are breathing ok..Right now my heart has been on a binge of skipping beats all day but I have to go into town to the grocery ..no choice so wish me luck.. Michael

So far I made it through a whole day of missing beats and being active and feeling those skipped beats till this very moment.I will try to sleep now and I made it to the grocery and not only that I came home and worked outside till dark and feeling weird and breathless too and still breathing and here leaving post..So try not to worry its going to be ok.. Michael

I get this way too, it feels awful. If I keep busy and don't think about it Im fine, but the minute I think about it I can't breath.

Hi Jo,

I get this on and off every now and again, but it only seems to last for the duration of a panic attack. I hope you feel better soon anyway, take care,

Scarlett x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information