Thread: Anafranil and constipation

Anafranil and constipation

If it was not for the constipation I would give it 10 out of 10. The constipation seems to be getting worse the longer I take it. Another med another fail. Not much left to try now. Yeah just take some laxitives for the bad days but the constant feeling of being bloated is doing my head in. And yes I eat food that would help bowel movements.

Re: Anafranil and constipation

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas75 View Post
    If it was not for the constipation I would give it 10 out of 10. The constipation seems to be getting worse the longer I take it.
    Unfortunately, it seems to be almost a rule of the Universe that the antidepressant which proves to be the most effective will have some annoying side-effect.

This does usually ease over time, but if it really is a deal breaker then you could try imipramine (Tofranil). It is a little less powerful than clomipramine, but is the least potent acetylcholine muscarinic receptor antagonist of the primarily serotonin reuptake inhibiting TCAs. Antagonism of this receptor is the main cause of the signature TCA constipation and dry-mouth side-effects.

The primarily noradrenaline/norepinephrine inhibiting TCAs desipramine (Norpramin) and lofepramine (lofepramine) do not usually cause constipation, but whether they will be as effective as clomipramine and imipramine can only be determined by trying them.

Thread Information