Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painful lymph node after wisdom tooth extraction

Painful lymph node after wisdom tooth extraction

I had my wisdom tooth extracted due to pericoronitis/infection Saturday and I elected not to take antibiotics as I am very sensitive to medication. The dentist was ok with my decision, but the actual oral surgeon explained that bacteria might get into my bloodstream through the wound and possible cause my throat to swell. He didn't insist on antibiotics, just gave me the "warning" for liability reasons. Due to the inflammation, I had a very slight fever, sore jaw and a slightly swollen lymph node off and on for 5 days preceding the extraction. The extraction was very simple and went very well, but now on the day after, I have a pretty sore lymph node on the side of the extraction and a bad tension headache that radiates down to my neck and shoulders (I've been stressed out). I am a little panicked about rare complications like Angina, sepsis, meningitis, brain abscess, etc., but I don't have a fever, rapid heart rate or any noticeable swelling. Am I danger? I hate being in this situation because if I could take antibiotics, I would, but I feel stuck.

Re: Painful lymph node after wisdom tooth extraction

You need to be taking those antibiotics to clear up any infection. An untreated infection can cause sepsis. If left untreated, and the infections spreads, you will be in hospital having IV antibiotics ... which is far worse.

This is rare, but a possibility.

I strongly suggest you go to your dentist and get the antibiotics. They will clear up the infection. If your dentist advised you to take them it's for good reason.

If you can't swallow tablets ask for liquid form. Or, crush them. I do this. Tastes absolutely disgusting but I can't swallow tablets so it's all I can do.

Sore lymph node is normal. The body is dealing with "trauma" to the mouth.

Good luck, and I hope you make a full recovery.

I have my teeth out tomorrow :(

Wow I don't understand your thinking. You may be sensitive to medication but would you rather have an infection spread to your bloodstream? Antibiotics aren't optional. I had the same thing as you but my infection had actually spread through my mouth and the dentist basically said without antibiotics and an extraction, I'd be in the hospital by the end of the week. To answer your other question yes I am now two months post tooth extraction and still have a swollen lymph node

Quote Originally Posted by scaredpt View Post
    Wow I don't understand your thinking. You may be sensitive to medication but would you rather have an infection spread to your bloodstream? Antibiotics aren't optional. I had the same thing as you but my infection had actually spread through my mouth and the dentist basically said without antibiotics and an extraction, I'd be in the hospital by the end of the week. To answer your other question yes I am now two months post tooth extraction and still have a swollen lymph node
    Totally agree with what scardpt said.

You're panicked about possible complications yet refuse to take a medication to prevent it? This is a decision you made. I don't know what else to say other than take the meds

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Are you in danger? Yes. You must take the antibiotics to get rid of the infection. I too am sensitive to medication. Tell the dentist that and they can give you something to cope with the side effects or you can take something over the counter, Pepto-Bismal for upset stomach and diarrhea (common side effects of antibiotics) The swollen lymph gland is because of the infection in your mouth!

I understand everyone's sentiment but perhaps I didn't include enough detail to explain what might otherwise seem as stubbornness on my part.

The incidences of any life threatening infection post-extraction are extremely rare. But of course, with my health anxiety, everything I feel makes me think that things are coming to fruition.

Regarding the antibiotics, they prescribed me Clindomycin, which has a high priority warning not seen on any other antibiotic regarding the commonality of colitis when using the product. In some cases, it is life threatening. I am allergic to Amoxicillin and Penicillin, so I can't take those. Hence, I'm a bit stuck. I've also been taking a lot of garlic to compensate.

I'm going to the dentist today to get seen and I will report back.

If you take Clindamycin then load up on the probiotics. It is very strong and is notorious for causing C Diff. I was a victim of if. IF you have an infection then perhaps it's a must, but I would really try to get something besides Clindamycin. I know in the U.K. that many dentists use Flagyl which is less likely to cause C Diff.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_n_rolll View Post
    I understand everyone's sentiment but perhaps I didn't include enough detail to explain what might otherwise seem as stubbornness on my part.

The incidences of any life threatening infection post-extraction are extremely rare. But of course, with my health anxiety, everything I feel makes me think that things are coming to fruition.

Regarding the antibiotics, they prescribed me Clindomycin, which has a high priority warning not seen on any other antibiotic regarding the commonality of colitis when using the product. In some cases, it is life threatening. I am allergic to Amoxicillin and Penicillin, so I can't take those. Hence, I'm a bit stuck. I've also been taking a lot of garlic to compensate.

I'm going to the dentist today to get seen and I will report back.
    Speak to your doctor too. Explain your concerns.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Saw the dentist today (she is nationally renown). She said there is still a little residual infection but I look good and that if it were her, she would not take antibiotics. My body will heal on its own and worst case, it will just take a little longer. I have a follow up inspection on Thursday. She said she has never heard of any of her patients experiencing a major event in her 17 years of practicing and that it will not happen to me. I've also learned quickly that though there are some great people on these boards, none to my recollection, are actual dentists. Cheers for the answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information