Thread: Sudden Fast Heartbeats?

Sudden Fast Heartbeats?

So, I am (just about) used to the PVC's and PAC's. What I'm not used to is the following:

Lying down, minding my own business, when out of nowhere I have several fast beats that start and stop abruptly. It's like beat-beat-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-beat-beat. Does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone? It's definitely not irregular, over in seconds, but very distinct and noticeable.

My Holter a few months ago showed "rare isolated ventricular ectopics" and "rare supraventricular ectopics, both isolated and as couplets." Perhaps that's how couplets manifest themselves? I really don't want to go back to the G.P having had an ECG and Holter. And yes, I am quite sure my anxiety has a role to play.

Dr. Google says things like SVT which is less than helpful.

Re: Sudden Fast Heartbeats?

I think I've had this one before too Godstopper...not the one I've recently posted about though.

I know one thing, from all my questioning of doctors recently, it doesn't sound like anything to worry about. Most 'hiccups' in the heart that last a few seconds are usually benign, especially when you've had other checks already done. Obviously I'm not medically trained, but this is my experience/learning.

I like the way you said you were minding your own business when it happened How true that is. When it happened to me I was happily watching something on the internet and then 'BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, beat, beat...etc' Almost like it just wanted to freak me out.

Yes. It is as if, when you get a handle on these things, some new manifestation of them appears to send you down another anxiety black hole.

My ECG was borderline abnormal, but the G.P said to ignore that and it all looked good. I also worry more as I'm at high risk of a condition of which palps. are a classic symptom (though admittedly, not garden variety PVC's/PAC's). But all this introspection CAUSES the very thing which we fear, I am sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Godstopper View Post
    Yes. It is as if, when you get a handle on these things, some new manifestation of them appears to send you down another anxiety black hole.

My ECG was borderline abnormal, but the G.P said to ignore that and it all looked good. I also worry more as I'm at high risk of a condition of which palps. are a classic symptom (though admittedly, not garden variety PVC's/PAC's). But all this introspection CAUSES the very thing which we fear, I am sure of it.
    Godstopper

You've hit the nail on the head, it IS just when we get a handle on these things they change and give us something else to worry about.

And they are real so it's hard for us to believe anxiety might be bringing them on, especially when they happen when we're calm.

I don't believe anxiety causes them, BUT I have to pay attention to this pattern. I know that my anxiety is heightened because of them and perhaps I'm then more vigilant to any changes. I think my heart issues have been the result of hormonal issues in the last 8 weeks.....BUT it means my heart is producing lots of little performances to fuel that anxiety.

Re your ECG being borderline normal, I've had a couple of those. I was told each time that the ecg machine can be very sensitive and throw up a lot of false positives, it's designed to be that way to be very safe (in case anyone using it is relying on it), but if a doctor checks the pattern themselves and is happy with it then that is ok. I've since had two pitch perfect ecgs

Thread Information