Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My worst fear - breast lump

My worst fear - breast lump

My mother died of breast cancer and I know I am at higher risk due to my family history.
    Twice in past 10 weeks I have had half a day where a part of my breast was painful if I joggled it but then it went away. Last night I woke up with severe stabbing pain in breast for a short time so went to see my Gp this afternoon.
    She examined me and when she pressed on one area ( same place as it had hurt when joggled) I jumped with pain, it was excruitiating and she said she could feel a tiny pea sized hard round lump.
    She said that painful lumps are often cysts but of course only tests will tell one way or other.
    I am on fast track for breast clinic in next 2 weeks.
    So I am having to face waiting for the tests and what they might bring.
    You can imagine how I feel

Re: My worst fear - breast lump

Found a lump in my groin on Friday, understand the heart stopping dread. Had it x rayed now waiting on results. The only advice I can offer is to to keep breathing, and maybe try and employ every technique in your toolkit to relax until you actually know what is going on. I am crossing all of my fingers for you, positive vibes coming your way. X

They do say cancerous lumps are painless while cysts and abcesses etc can be quite painful. Hang in there because I'm sure all is well, but I agree that the waiting is awful.

Best wishes to both you and Mello.

ISB ☺ x x

I had what you describe.. Round hard pea sized lump turned out to be a cyst apparently.

Good luck, I'm sure you're be fine xx

Hi there,
    Totally understand what you are going through. I also found a lump this week and am waiting to be seen in clinic. My anxiety has gone through the roof. I have started taking an antidepressant which is giving me really bad side affects too. I don't feel connected with my poor family, want to shut myself away with my worries. Trying every mindfulness technique in the book. Now I have to get my kids up and off to school. I don't feel like going to work but know that it is probably a good distraction. Help support welcomed.

Oh happygirl I feel for you, I know just what you are going through. I got a phone call today with appt for next wednesday so less than a weeks wait for me to know what i am dealing with.
    You are welcome to private message me anytime for support if you need it.

finding breast lumps is terrifying. i've been there twice in the past year. but remember 8 out of 10 lumps are benign.
    my first lump was a cyst that was drained at the appointment and my second lump - which is still there, is apparently normal 'lumpy' breast tissue.
    waiting for the appointment is awful. I've just seen you've got an appointment next wednesday which is good news, i had to wait exactly two weeks for my last apt.
    firstly i would try not to touch the boob until you are at the appointment. take each day at a time and just focus on getting to that date, as that is when you'll get your answers and put this nightmare to bed.
    a painful lump certainly sounds a typical benign condition. lots of luck and i think you'll be just fine x ps my grandma died at a young age from BC so i understand there family link fear too.

I spoke to my doctor yesterday about the horrible side effects my antidepressants were having on me. I explained the level of anxiety I was having. She asked if after being seen would it be easier than taking the medication and yes it would. She said although I should be seen within a fortnight it would likely be a month before I am seen. I told her I would pay privately for peace of mind and she thought this would be good. So although it is a lot of money I have a private appointment this morning. What are savings for? My mental and physical health is worth it. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks Carrie for your post.
    Happygirl, I thought if you were put on the fast track they had to see you within 2 weeks, although I have been reading that some health authorities are not meeting this requirement. I agree with you about going privately with such a long wait. I would do the same. I haven't done this as my appt with nhs is only a few days longer than I could have got a private appt at a one stop breast clinic.
    Do let me know how you get on x

Good news, everything is fine, after a mammogram and ultrasound scan the lump was a benign nodule. I cannot express how relieved I am. Although it cost a lot of money, my mental health was suffering so to me it was worth it. I have also taken the worries away from my nearest and dearest, if I had gone on for another two weeks I would have been a mess.
    That feeling of anxiety and panic had set in. Even after having the all clear, my body took a while to release the adrenaline that had built up, it had almost become an automatic response - does that make sense? Anxiety is a powerful thing, our minds can overpower our whole wellbeing and it isn't easy to see beyond it while you are consumed by it. Just try and be aware of this, it is hard and I think that sometimes things are so out of our control we can't accept it. I am going to continue with the headspace anxiety pack (hope I can mention this) it did help me to some extent to understand what was going on at this time of turmoil. Thanks for messages, keep me up to date on how you get on too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information