Thread: Zoloft not working anymore?

Zoloft not working anymore?

I've been on Zoloft for years for anxiety and depression. I was on 50mg and felt I needed a little "boost" so my doctor increased my dose to 75mg, then 100mg. I've been on 100mg for 13 weeks now and feel worse than I did on 50mg. I find this odd because I expected to at least feel a little better. My anxiety is pretty much constant now and I've been having bouts of depression I haven't felt in years.

Does it sounds like I need to try a new SSRI altogether? Anyone else experience this and what did you end up doing?

Re: Zoloft not working anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by kmm111 View Post
    I've been on 100mg for 13 weeks now and feel worse than I did on 50mg. I find this odd because I expected to at least feel a little better. My anxiety is pretty much constant now and I've been having bouts of depression I haven't felt in years.

Does it sounds like I need to try a new SSRI altogether?
    Yes, it does seem a switch to something else is required. Is Zoloft the only antidepressant you've taken? If it is, then another SSRI may work for you, but if you've been on others before that also stopped working then a SNRI (except venlafaxine (Effexor) and desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) which are really only SSRIs), or TCA is probably a better option.

Hi! I had also been on sertraline for about 10 years and it pooped out last July. I tried increasing the dose to max, but it didn't work and I felt worse. I have been on a TCA called Nortriptyline since December. I don't really think it is doing the job though, I'm on 100mg, I believe the max dose is 150mg. I have seen my psych and she has said I can try a higher dose, but will wait until next week to increase to 125mg. My anxiety seems to have settled the last day or two, so will wait and see if it continues, before I increase. I really had no side effects when starting the Nort, but have constipation, which I have found Metamucil taken daily really helps and blurred vision sometimes, which I take eye drops for. Hope this helps. Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
    I don't really think it is doing the job though, I'm on 100mg, I believe the max dose is 150mg. I have seen my psych and she has said I can try a higher dose, but will wait until next week to increase to 125mg.
    Some of us need to take around the maximum dose to get a good response, Tracy. At 225mg my TCA, dosulepin, aka dothiepin, keeps me almost completely panic free, has done for 20 years, but at 200mg the anxiety starts to build.

My anxiety seems to have settled the last day or two, so will wait and see if it continues, before I increase.
    If you've been on 100mg for more than a couple of months then I suspect this improvement owes more to the normal anxiety waxing and waning cycle than the nortriptyline suddenly becoming more effective.

Thanks for your input PDU, I really do appreciate you sharing you knowledge with us all. I will up the Nort on Monday. I try to only make med increased when my children go to their father's house. That way I stress less. Thanks again. May I ask on you working life was you occupation in the mental health area?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid16 View Post
    May I ask on you working life was you occupation in the mental health area?
    No, not even close. In fact the very antithesis of the healing arts. I did have a first-aid certificate once, a very long time ago. Are leeches still at the cutting edge of medicine?

Thread Information