Thread: non-functional - waiting for daughter's blood tests results

non-functional - waiting for daughter's blood tests results

hi all,
    i've posted about this issue in another post, but i'm feeling the world is on hold right now. I can't focus, waiting for her blood test results tomorrow.

she had her CBC test and WBC is 16.4 (out of 12.4 normal range). RBC, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW, Platelet count are all in range. Her physical exam this morning was okay too.

Because of this, the doctor ordered re-test 2 days after the first one plus other additional tests. Tomorrow i will come in for her results. this is agony in waiting. She doesn't have any symptoms and her WBC is elevated like that. Hence, that makes me even more worried, thinking of the worst.

thanks for reading this. I just need to vent. My husband has been supportive, but he's not anxious so he couldn't understand the fears in my mind.

We also had her urine test this morning and it was fine. We don't know what kind of infection she is having that can cause her elevated WBC.

Re: non-functional - waiting for daughter's blood tests results

I had elevated WBC on my CBC during my pregnancy- I can't remember the exact number but they were not worried at all. I retested a couple weeks later and it was back to normal. I had been driving myself crazy wondering why it was so high and my doctor said that sometimes it just happens, the body can be fighting an infection and we wouldn't even know we had one. Stay strong mama you got this!

Quote Originally Posted by Chawk384 View Post
    I had elevated WBC on my CBC during my pregnancy- I can't remember the exact number but they were not worried at all. I retested a couple weeks later and it was back to normal. I had been driving myself crazy wondering why it was so high and my doctor said that sometimes it just happens, the body can be fighting an infection and we wouldn't even know we had one. Stay strong mama you got this!
    thanks Chawk384. I will stay strong for her. But inside my head, I'm barely hanging on. I wish and pray that we find the source of her infection so we can know for sure why it's elevated.

Quote Originally Posted by nhelen79 View Post
    thanks Chawk384. I will stay strong for her. But inside my head, I'm barely hanging on. I wish and pray that we find the source of her infection so we can know for sure why it's elevated.
    All the other screenings were normal, and even though that white cell count is elevated, it's only very slightly elevated.

That type of fluctuation can come and go in one day. That's most probably why the doctor has ordered a re-test. I understand your concern but given that your daughters other screenings were perfectly normal, along with physical examination, I'd say that the chances are quite high that the white cell count is nothing more than an ordinary fluctuation.

Does your daughter have allergies? That can cause an increase in WBC count.

If there was something wrong the doctor would have called you and sent you both to the hospital. No news is good news!

I would have to agree with the other posters, if there was anything to be alarmed about the doctor would have sent you to the hospital. Our bodies are not going to fit into "normal range" Take blood pressure for example, both of my daughters have low blood pressure, it alarmed me at first but the doctor said what is normal for them is different then what is normal for me. We are all different and I wouldn't panic about a fluctuation in a blood test. Trust your doctor! Being a mom is difficult sometimes I know but no sense in getting yourself all upset.

It is horrible waiting on results when it is one of your kids, I know how feel.Hoping everything is all ok,thinking of you.

hi all,

thank you so much for all your warm thoughts. I saw the new blood test results online this morning and everything is fine. look like they only release it automatically if it's normal. So i emailed her doctor and she confirmed even before our appointment later today. So i canceled the appointment. her WBC dropped from 16 (2 days ago) to 9 (well within range). Phew!!!!

when it comes to our kid, yes the anxiety multiply x100 times.

Thread Information