Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choked on water, panic

Choked on water, panic

Hello all, this morning I was watching TV and the show made me a little emotional, had a lump in my throat and a tear running down. Didn't want anybody in the room to see so I turned my head and grabbed my water bottle, threw my head back and began to pour the water in my mouth. Well not even a second later I was choking and spit out a bunch of water on myself and my seat, then began gasping for air and coughing and flailing about. It would be comical if I wasn't so ridden with anxiety truly. The coughing and gasping lasted for 30 seconds to a minute or so it felt like, though it mightve been shorter and just felt long. When I gasped it was like I couldn't get any air like my lungs were blocked so then I cough and kept coughing and gasping. I was panicking thinking I was going to faint or something.

My mom handed me a towel and a cough drop and asked how I felt once my coughing settled down and I said it felt like there was water in my lungs. She said I doubt that and that happens to everyone, don't over think it. My chest and throat did feel funny and still kind of do. But I tried to not go into overdrive and panic since I read about secondary/dry drowning before. I went to the gym afterward and then to counseling, and therapist basically said the same thing to not go to the worst "what if" scenarios.

Deep down they are right but I can't stop thinking about it. I have anxiety about my breathing a lot and so I think about my breathing. And right now and throughout the day i feel very tight chested and like I can't get a good satisfying breath/can't breathe and I feel light headed, which happens a lot with my anxiety but I keep associating it with choking on a drink of water and that water is just sitting in my lungs causing problems. I also heard secondary drowning can affect you even up until 24 hours later so I feel like I'm going to be so hyper vigilent and thinking the worst for the next day, and thinking I can't tell the difference between my anxiety and real physical problems! I don't want to run to the doctor or hospital either.

This past week I've had a lot of anxiety about my breathing, yesterday I was anxious about my racing heart, today it's this. Talk me down. Ugh.

Re: Choked on water, panic

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheKing View Post
    therapist basically said.... not go to the worst "what if" scenarios.
    Your therapist is right. Does your therapist know you post here for reassurance above and beyond medical experience and knowledge?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Your therapist is right. Does your therapist know you post here for reassurance above and beyond medical experience and knowledge?

Positive thoughts
    Oh she is right. Actually no but it's probably something I should bring up. Thank you. I thought I was over this reassurance posting but in the last couple of weeks I've tossed myself back. Got to break the cycle now.

Think about how many people across the world have experienced this. Think about all the people who go swimming. Now think of how uncommon dry drowning is.

Wouldn't it be something very common given the high numbers of possible exposures?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Think about how many people across the world have experienced this. Think about all the people who go swimming. Now think of how uncommon dry drowning is.

Wouldn't it be something very common given the high numbers of possible exposures?
    Thank you, you're absolutely right. And it's not the first time I've choked on water either, just felt more intense for some reason. But I've also been high strung this week. Lol

If water was in your lungs you would know about it. You wouldn't stop coughing til it was all out. I can tell you now, choking on anything is bad, but choking on sour sweets (the liquid ones) burns like fire in your throat. I know from experience, it hurts.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tillyyy View Post
    If water was in your lungs you would know about it. You wouldn't stop coughing til it was all out. I can tell you now, choking on anything is bad, but choking on sour sweets (the liquid ones) burns like fire in your throat. I know from experience, it hurts.

Oh my! Can imagine the burn that would come from choking on sour liquids!

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheKing View Post
    Oh my! Can imagine the burn that would come from choking on sour liquids!
    I've been put off sour sweets ever since!

I had a really bad chocking fit at Christmas in a posh place. That was before the meal started. The waitress brought me water. It happens very regular with me.
    I carry water with me all the time. That's why I have a big shoulder bag.
    Its nerves with me. It's not nice and some times embarrassing.

Tillyyy, I don't blame you!

Magic, sorry to hear that. It can be a bit embarrassing in front of others but it happens.

Well it's been a whole day later and I had pretty much stopped worrying about it. Then I somehow managed to do the same thing just a few minutes ago except not as intense and no spitting. Not as worried this time, but I really should pay attention. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information