Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabies returned

Re: Rabies returned

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredLizard View Post
    I'm not sure how they determine it. Here's a link

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/rabi...countries.html

I knew a lot of countries in Europe were rabies free as I belong to pet sites and the folk in Europe don't have to get their cats rabies shots like we have to in the US
    The UK is on that list but we still have rabies, it's just only in our bats. The last case we had in humans was donkey's years ago and that was in someone who works with bats.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The UK is on that list but we still have rabies, it's just only in our bats. The last case we had in humans was donkey's years ago and that was in someone who works with bats.
    Yeah this is about ground animals though. You guys are rabies free as far as ground animals and pets don't even need the vaccine. So the OP is perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredLizard View Post
    Yeah this is about ground animals though. You guys are rabies free as far as ground animals and pets don't even need the vaccine. So the OP is perfectly fine
    Yes, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I was just adding onto your point really, we don't vaccinate our pets despite having it in our bats. That tells me the government know it's just no issue. Our bats are just carriers and since they aren't into biting any of us we are perfectly safe. They much prefer chomping down on moths & fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    No one noes anyone who had rabies; come on. It is like; something like 4 people in the enitre United States who gets it annualy; in a population of 300 million?
    In my country, the last human to get rabies was in 1815, 202 years ago.
    That was my point and I wanted the OP to think it through themselves. No-one knows a single person who's ever had rabies, though they certainly would if all it took to catch it was some slobbery dogs to be somewhere nearby. The fear is 100% unthinkable both in terms of it being an incredibly rare disease, where you need to be bitten by an obviously foaming at the mouth diseased mammal to catch it.

I never gave rabies a thought until I started reading health anxiety boards.

Here in my neck of the woods our pets get rabies shots. If anyone were to get scratched or bitten by a raccoon, skunk, opossum, rat.. they would get rabies shots. Drs don't take a chance.

After reading here, I watched youtube videos about rabid animals and humans, they are very obviously sick .. very obviously - wrong. They aren't friendly, and they aren't eating. They are falling over, humped up, foaming, look neurological.

Interesting stuff.

That said .. I like bats, they are fascinating to me. lol

Yeah, Nancy, it's very serious and very obvious something is wrong when you see them.

I know what you mean about NMP. Not being a HAer myself I've been amazed at how many, often obscure, scenarios pop up on here.

We have a bat house in one of our zoo's where they fly all around you. There is a cool tunnel in it and you can feel them flying past your legs & face.

I've also been on a bat walk. Our local RSPBB centre runs them later in the year. They take you out with bat monitors so you can listen to their clicks.

I would LOVE to see that Terry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    I would LOVE to see that Terry!!!
    There's some vids on YouTube. It's the Chester Zoo Bat Cave if you Google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7to9xKye-c

http://www.chesterzoo.org/explore-th...uit-bat-forest

At a local park you can usually see upwards of 20 of our common bats flying over the lake an diving for moths. We've got a bat wood not far away too which is protected but I've never seen them in there as it's very dark.

Thank you Terry! They are amazing creatures.

My understanding of the UK situation is it's been found in a tiny handful of individual migratory bats, which is enough that people qualified to handle wild bats for surveys have to have a rabies shot, but not enough to mean the general public's risk isn't very very close to 0.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information