Thread: Blood in stool and blood clot....hemorroids?

Blood on stool and blood clot....hemorrhoids?

I am 41 and have had hemorrhoids for at least 9 years that were a result of having a baby. In the past few years they also bleed from time to time. However a few months ago had a hard stool and believe I had a tear or very aggravated hemorrhoid. Lots of red blood in water and when I wiped. Went to GP said most likely internal hemorrhoids. It went away a few days later. Recently when I wiped I see red blood again and it is on top of my stool. What worried me the most is what looked like a small dark blood clot on top of the stool. I did eat a few prunes yesterday but not sure if that was what it was? I can see (sorry TMI) a large protruding hemorrhoid when I look in that area. Could that have happened from a ruptured hemorrhoid? I do have some burning and discomfort like a hemorrhoid too. I am so worried this is all a sign of colon cancer!!!! I plan to go to GP next week and ask for a referrral to a GI. No history of colon cancer in my family but I am still convinced I have cancer.

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Still worried!
    Last edited by cw75; 14-05-17 at 01:24.

Re: Blood in stool and blood clot....hemorroids?

Well bright red blood usually indicates lower bleeding such as hemorrhoids, tears etc. Darker blood like black colored indicates internal bleeding further up like the stomach and other places. As long as your blood is red I'd say listen to your doctor.

Thanks for the response....my concern was there might have been darker blood (not black) but was hard to tell if something I had ate or actual blood. I'm seeing what happens the next few days. I still am going to request tests to either confirm just hemorrhoids or something else.

Confirmation never hurts, if you feel it's needed go for it.

You have a condition that can easily cause what you are experiencing - roids. And like you say, you can't rule out food being a reason for the appearance of something darker so monitoring is a good idea. If you don't see it again, put it down to what you ate.

Seeing a doctor is a good idea but not for cancer, for treatment of the roids.

Thanks and I'll talk to my doc this week about the roid problem. I plan to do what that doc says regarding tests or not. Had a tiny bit of red blood on stool but way less than yesterday. Nothing dark and using a suppository which is seeming to help the roid shrinkage.

Drink lots of water to stay hydrated, if the little buggers bother you, talk to your doctor about treatment options!

Thread Information