Thread: Back pain

Back pain

I thought I had pulled a muscle in my lower back. Didn't really didn't think any thing about it. It's been hurting now for about two weeks and went to my chiropractor. He updated my file and asked the meds I was on.
    When i told him anafranil, he said, "I bet that's the problem, it can cause your lower back to hurt"

Sure enough, it's listed as a side effect. Does anyone have this or know why??

Re: Back pain

Quote Originally Posted by Jakemje View Post
    Sure enough, it's listed as a side effect. Does anyone have this or know why??
    It's a possibility, though uncommon. But it's more likely to just be a sprained muscle. Or a long shot, have you changed your mattress, or a chair recently, maybe even started wearing a new pair of shoes?

I'm just curious as to how a medicine could cause pain in your lower back, not related to your kidneys. I asked my pdoc this today and she said she had patients complain of the same thing, but didn't know how it could cause it in a particular location like that

Quote Originally Posted by Jakemje View Post
    I'm just curious as to how a medicine could cause pain in your lower back, not related to your kidneys. I asked my pdoc this today and she said she had patients complain of the same thing, but didn't know how it could cause it in a particular location like that
    It probably isn't directly causing the pain, but affecting the lower back muscles which may in turn express pain. Serotonin mediates muscle tone, tightening and relaxing of muscle fibres, mainly constriction. Serotonin got its name from this affect on the muscles regulating blood vessel tone, i.e. sero (of the blood, serum) and tonin.

My guess, and it's only a guess because there isn't much data on this is that by affecting serotonin levels throughout the body antidepressants cause muscle fibres to be more relaxed increasing their susceptibility to injury. As lower back muscle problems are more common that elsewhere this antidepressant effect is more likely to create issues there.

Thread Information