Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of stinking thinking!

Get rid of stinking thinking!

I went to my therapist yesterday and she reminded me to face my STINKING THINKING, could also be known as the Shit!!y Committee in your mind! Fire that crew they don't belong in your brain!

Take an index card and write these steps down and you are to challenge your thinking.

A. Include only Facts (situation) Just the facts ma'am!

B. Thoughts or beliefs (your-self talk) What is your spinning brain telling you?

C. Feelings- how do you feel as a result of your thoughts. Scared? Nervous?

D. Dispute thoughts or beliefs. What is really going on? Challenge your distorted thinking.

I thought I was to apply it to a stressful or upsetting situation. She told me, no I should be using it at least 10 times a day to re-train my brain to not to jump to anxious and unreal thoughts.

So I've been practicing it today and it really works!

Re: Get rid of stinking thinking!

This is great, I just copied it into my journal. Thanks for sharing!

You are more then welcome Bee. I really, really don't like medication and this has been working for me. I think we have had the answer inside of us the whole time. We need to be in charge of our brain, not the other way around!

Meds didn't fit me either. Yes it lays dormant from the skin in. If we knew everything life wouldn't be interesting or worth living. I'm really glad to hear you've found the thing needed to help produce real results.

I still have my down days, but I'm really going start what my therapist told me to re wire my brain, if I don't do something different, nothing will change. It has really worked for me today and I am still doing it.

You know what's funny (well not funny ha, ha) 16 people have viewed this post without a single comment! Oh well............

Quote Originally Posted by snowghost57 View Post
    I went to my therapist yesterday and she reminded me to face my STINKING THINKING, could also be known as the Shit!!y Committee in your mind! Fire that crew they don't belong in your brain!

Take an index card and write these steps down and you are to challenge your thinking.

A. Include only Facts (situation) Just the facts ma'am!

B. Thoughts or beliefs (your-self talk) What is your spinning brain telling you?

C. Feelings- how do you feel as a result of your thoughts. Scared? Nervous?

D. Dispute thoughts or beliefs. What is really going on? Challenge your distorted thinking.

I thought I was to apply it to a stressful or upsetting situation. She told me, no I should be using it at least 10 times a day to re-train my brain to not to jump to anxious and unreal thoughts.

So I've been practicing it today and it really works!
    Good stuff... similar to some CBT worksheets I've seen.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I asked Pam, my therapist if this was CBT but she said it was more rationalization, I can't remember what the entire term was she called it.

As I was sitting here on the computer I realized the more that I practice challenging my thoughts has helped keep the negative ones at bay. How encouraging!

Rational thinking is necessary. That's what I need more of yeah its something you gotta keep on practicing because the mind needs some serious taming. Never mind people not replying, you can carry on the same way. Sometimes this isn't the most active or supportive place.

You are absolutely correct be. With out rational thinking our anxiety rules. I like your statement, "the mind needs taming". I think Fish was right, too many fall into the reassurance rabbit hole. I find that really sad. When I was all doped up on Zoloft I told myself, the He!! with this, I want my life back and I'm getting rid of the anxiety animal in my brain!

Good post, snowghost. More people should use these techniques, especially the HAers.

I've used what are called Thought Records. These are very similiar. Have a scan:

https://psychologytools.com/download...orksheets.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information