Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Been googling afterlife again

Been googling afterlife again

I've been googling this again but it's made me feel queezy and anxious. Does anybody else get like this?

Re: Been googling afterlife again

Quote Originally Posted by absol View Post
    I hate this kind of magical thinking. Thankfully, it doesn't bother me as much anymore. Some things I've done to cope:

1. Limiting my use of search engines through web browser add-ons (I use LeechBlock for Firefox, because it allows me to check things only at certain times, for brief periods). Search engines are now for work and academic study only, and I've had to be really strict with myself about it, but I don't think I could do it without a blocker.

2. Just immediately shooting myself down when I think about anything existential pertaining to death. Period. If I even think about anything remotely close to "but what happens if/when--?" I just think "nope" and direct my thoughts/physical attention elsewhere. I keep books and handheld games around to help with this, and I have a few favorite subjects that I have tucked away in the back of my head that I can immediately refocus on if my OCD decides to pull this. Kind of like a mental "happy place".

3. When I'm calm and not obsessing about death/the afterlife, I try to remind myself that there's literally no possible way for me to know, for sure, what death and the afterlife are like. So why even waste my time? I started seeing it as a nuisance and a waste of energy after awhile (which it is) instead of something viable that should be researched. It could all be supposition and completely wrong. You could chase down hundreds of near-death experiences or descriptions of what the afterlife/the feeling of dying MAY be like... and it could all be wrong. Accepting the futility/uncertainty has helped a lot, and I hope you find something that works for you and at least makes it a little bit easier.

I acknowledge that OCD/anxiety makes me obsessed with knowing things 100 percent for sure. And the only thing I know that's definite about this situation is that there's no way I can ever be sure about death and what may come after, and that's been good enough to get me thinking about something else.
    Hi absol,

I feel that you're a bit like me, except you have a much better handle on this than I do. I've basically had a mental collapse since having a miscarriage in August. It came to a head when I was told I'd need a general anaesthetic, and I told them that if I did I would die. I've managed to find a way around the general anaesthetic (so far...) but the miscarriage has been complicated and I'm still not physically back to normal. I experience dread and feelings of doom every day and an not functional at the moment. I've moved in for my mother who is doing everything for me.

I have been googling this again. I worry about it and worry there is nothing I can do. I had a breakdown in 2016 and went to hospital and had no control over things then.

I worry what happens when you die nothing it an after life? It makes me very anxious often being human makes me anxious too. Can anyone relax my fears have you suffered this type of anxiety and got over it? I guess it’s not good to be worrying over this stuff? Is the key to live life and not worry about this I mean being an anxious person it’s hard as I would rather live forever. I worry when you die it will be a boring place unless reincarnation exists and you can come back again?

What would a "boring" place mean to you?

I know Hell wouldn’t be boring I would get to see all my mates no pearly gates for me or Phil.

Next Life? Sure that works in reincarnation

Death and nothing happening atall but emptiness well no faith can prepare for that.

Some kind of heaven and looking down on people well that’s maybe an after life but a boring one if you can’t touch feel smell ect and what would you do stay awake all day all night?

I read the other day they found a way reverse aging by 20 years too. I live in hope they find surrogates like the movie where you upload your mind to an android device. For me that would be better than any after life. Some futurists believe death is like a disease and can be cured or if they do upload the mind you continue to live.

I have a friend who's a spiritualist and for him its a religion. He sees dead people, feels their energy and passes on messages. I see and hear nothing so have to take his word for it. For myself I think we are chemicals charged with electrical impulses and those will end when we die. But who am I to say? That explanation would seem logical but depressing at the same time. Reading Richard Dawkins and hearing him say we are not here for any higher purpose, that there is no great plan, that we just 'are' until we die. Again I see the logic but its just so bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I worry when you die it will be a boring place unless reincarnation exists and you can come back again?
    What have you been reading?

You're speaking entirely from ego - which appears to be something we don't take with us when we die.

I'm struggling to understand what you're on about to be honest.

I know my consciousness will survive biological death. My experience (and subsequent ones) removed my fear of death.

We already know that consciousness survives clinical death because of NDE accounts - and the longer someone is 'down' the deeper the experience.

It's my understanding that all the things, that have made life as difficult as it is, will be gone and we will be back to our default setting which is love.

It's hard to imagine love without the influence of ego because egos are formed as soon as we are around other people. Hate, jealousy, anxiety, depression, sadness, hurt - they're all ego based. When I had an experience several decades ago, it was like none of those emotions existed - which was at odds with the fact that I was being bullied on a daily basis at school.

I've experienced this - albeit briefly - and there are no words to accurately describe how this felt. I wasn't on drugs, having a psychotic episode or asleep. I was wide awake and as compos mentis as it gets.

Can you imagine being you without all the crap?

Well you came into the world that way and you will leave the same way because all of it will be released as your consciousness separates from your body.

Regards the 'afterlife' being boring...

If boring is not being weighed down with all this egotistical shit (mine and other peoples), then I'll take boring!

We are all made of energy and energy cannot be destroyed - it can only change form - so the idea that we do not exist in any way after death doesn't make sense to me.

I do struggle with reincarnation but that's probably because I am looking at it from a human measurement of time perspective, but some of the accounts are very compelling - especially those of children which I'm more likely to believe because they have less cause to lie.

I've seen people who shouldn't be here and I've sensed many more. My dad came to me in a dream to show me the crematorium where we'd just had his service and him with his arm around his brother - him saying, 'I'll look after you kid' which I thought was odd because this was his eldest brother. Normally, dreams are fragmented, so some things are accurate but others are not because it's a jumble of memories. Not so in this dream - everything was exactly as it should have been. I remember feeling elated that my dad was sat in front of me but he didn't speak to me and that upset me. A few weeks later, my uncle died (6 weeks after my dad) and we were in that crematorium again - this time saying goodbye to my uncle.

The night before my mother died (suddenly) I had a dream where I was at my nan's house (mum's mum) and my nan looked about 35 years old (she was in her 60s when I was born) and everything about the house and garden was correct except for one door which didn't belong there, and Nan told me that I wasn't to open it. We were putting things into black sacks - like you would for a jumble sale? And the dream ended there. This was just before I woke up at about 9.30 am. The dream unnerved me a bit. It was a Saturday and I rarely spoke to Mum on a Saturday (and I'd spoken to her the night before) but something kept niggling at me. So I phoned about 10am and got no answer from the landline or mobile. Not unusual for my mum as she could have been in the shower, but this sense of something being wrong was too strong to ignore so I phoned my brother who agreed to go round and check she was ok. AT 11am he called me to say he'd found her dead on the floor and the paramedics estimated time of death between 9 and 9.30 am, so she was dying at the time I had my dream.

The evidence that consciousness survives death is enormous and, slowly, we are making progress using the scientific method ( Google Sam Parnia) but ultimately I's say it's probably best that most of us are kept guessing otherwise we'd be leaping off cliffs in droves...

I think Phil just wants reassurance that he'll be able to go to gigs and on holiday again in any potential afterlife!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think Phil just wants reassurance that he'll be able to go to gigs and on holiday again in any potential afterlife!
    The afterlife is one big holiday lol

But then reincarnation supposedly buggers it all up again. I know one thing; if I come back, it will be as a bloke!

I wouldn't say no to a free front row seat at a Cure gig - while Bob can still play, obvs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information