Thread: Pretty sure I have MS

Pretty sure I have MS

I made a thread last week about experiencing saddle numbness and right leg weakness and numbness. The symptoms still remain and I went to my GP last week who said it might be a herniated disc in the lumbar region and she ordered an MRI scan which I am waiting to get a date for. At first, I was worried about Cauda Equina which is when you get a big hernia in the lumbar region and it leaves you numb, paralysed from the waist down and incontinent. Which I am still worried about at times. But more recently I am putting the pieces together of my symptoms (that I've always blamed on stress), like numbness in fingers/my right foot, weakness in arm, I have had a lot of trouble with my memory since last summer, once my right eye twitched for 3-4 weeks straight and then suddenly stopped etc. All of this is driving me crazy and I am constantly debating whether I should call my GP and ask her to throw in a scan of my brain and neck as well or if I should wait and scan my back first and then talk about scanning my brain and neck as well. I've been through hell this past 2 weeks. I've never cried this much before in my life. I can't eat, I don't go to work, I feel like a living zombie. I just keep imagining myself sitting there and the doctor giving me the devastating diagnosis. Sometimes I wish I'd just go to sleep and not wake up any more. I can't live like this and I certainly can't live with a debilitating diagnosis like MS.

Has anyone ever experienced serious symptoms? How do you cope? My family is of course tired of me so I am lacking moral support which makes me all the more depressed. They think this is all in my head or an anxiety symptom that will pass. But I've never heard of such serious and persistent symptoms be caused by anxiety.

Re: Pretty sure I have MS

All your symptoms sound too me Anxiety,Stress related,but I am No Doctor.Breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola-Lee View Post
    All your symptoms sound too me Anxiety,Stress related,but I am No Doctor.Breath.
    Thank you for taking time to reply. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. I am trying to stay calm but it's very difficult because of the scary symptoms that I am having which are typical MS symptoms. It's been 2 weeks and there hasn't been any improvement of my symptoms, in fact, they're getting worse. The numbness is spreading. I now have it in both feet, my stomach, my face and my right hand as well. I keep googling but I can't seem to find anyone experience such symptoms due to stress, and if they have it's only lasted for a day or two. I am beyond scared. I spend my days crying.

Hi denim03. Amongst the many other illness I have been convinced I had, MS is one of my them, however with my MS scare I did have actual symptoms which scared the life out of me. I developed a tremor, quite rapidly in fact, started getting fasciculations, experiencing tingling, changes in sensation, fatigue. I was convinced I had it, but I don't.

I only have been diagnosed with a benign tremor and though there is probably a little more to it than that, the key word here is benign. It's getting on for ten years since I went through this and I'm still a fit and active.

One thing to note though is that stress played havok with my symptoms. They're not solely down to stress unfortunately, they never completely disappear, but they can increase tenfold when I'm anxious. Tell your doctor about your anxiety and your fear of MS they may decide to treat your anxiety and see how your symptoms respond.

Hope you feel better soon.

Matt

If the numbness you talk about comes and goes, then that's not MS related. I used to experience on-off numbness and two different neuros told me that.

MS symptoms are caused by lesions that take time to heal, if they heal at all, that's why MS numbness should last AT LEAST 48 hours and be solid and persistent.

I'm not saying you don't have the illness you fear, I'm just telling you how your numbness should be for you to be genuinely worried.

Another thing, it doesn't usually present as widespread as you describe.

MS numbness isn't a "it feels numb" it's literally no sensation. You touch the spot and cannot feel it at all. I'm gonna go ahead and bet you're experiencing "numbing sensations" and not actual numbness.

I was convinced i had MS a couple of years ago. I had all the symptoms you mentioned and then some more. My HA got so bad I had what was probably a minor breakdown and was off my work for weeks.

I made a conscious effort to work on stress management and went to counselling. As my stress levels began to fall my symptoms eased off. I still get some and need to keep rational thought and stress management techniques at the forefront of my mind.

It's horrible when you get into a cycle like you are in because the worry will make symptoms worse and cause new ones. The mind is incredibly powerful but take solace from the fact others here have been feeling exactly the way you have and are okay.

Thread Information