Thread: New and in need of a little reassurance/advice

Unhappy New and in need of a little reassurance/advice

Hello all!

I have been on Citalopram for just over a week now, started taking 20mg upped from 10 on Saturday - to tell you the truth I feel like a zombie!

Someone tell me it will get better!

Re: New and in need of a little reassurance/advice

Hiya kellykelly. I can only let you know of my experience of course, but whilst I'm not on Citalopram now it was fantastic for me for many years. If you've only just changed, imho you need to give it a chance. Do you take it in the morning or at night? I've recently swapped Citalopram for sertraline and was finding some of the side effects a bit annoying when taking in the morning. I switched to evenings last week and have found it much better for me. Just a thought! Please try to stick with it as it is very early days yet. Your body/brain will be adjusting so I really hope it will get better soon. All the best and keep us posted.

"My life has been a series of terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened." Michel de Montaigne

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya kellykelly and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Red face Re: New and in need of a little reassurance/advice

Quote Originally Posted by mandymcniven View Post
    Hiya kellykelly. I can only let you know of my experience of course, but whilst I'm not on Citalopram now it was fantastic for me for many years. If you've only just changed, imho you need to give it a chance. Do you take it in the morning or at night? I've recently swapped Citalopram for sertraline and was finding some of the side effects a bit annoying when taking in the morning. I switched to evenings last week and have found it much better for me. Just a thought! Please try to stick with it as it is very early days yet. Your body/brain will be adjusting so I really hope it will get better soon. All the best and keep us posted.

"My life has been a series of terrible misfortunes, most of which never happened." Michel de Montaigne
    Thanks Mandy! I take them after my evening meal and then most of the time it only takes an hour or so and I am asleep! I know the doctor said that they would take a while to kick in but i think i am having more panic attacks now than i did when i wasn't taking any!

Re: New and in need of a little reassurance/advice

That too can happen as we get used to the new sensations we feel. There are loads of resources online and even apps for your phone (I particularly like What's Up) and I find these help in sorting out breathing and distracting yourself. The key is to remember that your body is reacting to the very real feelings of too much adrenaline and even though you might feel a real sense of impending doom, usually you are not in any real danger. Belly breathing is a big one for me as I do tend to shallow breath when feeling anxious.

Thread Information