Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone feel internal shaking when they wake up

Does anyone feel internal shaking when they wake up

It feels like my body is buzzing or slightly trembling. I take clonazapam in the morning to start my day off right. I had this problem before the medication. I guess my body is in the stages of trying to recover. I am going to weekly therapy and taking medication.

Re: Does anyone feel internal shaking when they wake up

Not when I wake up, no, but this is how I feel post-panic attack.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Yep. Feels like a cell phone is vibrating. It's cortisol, which kicks in when you're stressed or anxious, and it's highest levels are in the am. I always vibrate the morning after a stressful day.

That's me! I had a stressful night and a mild panic attack. I woke up vibrating ....it was so weird!

I used to get this when my cortisol levels were likely through the roof. Work on stress relief and relaxation. It should pass in a week if you do. Cortisol has a 24 hour half life in the body.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is great to know as this vibrating feeling has been stressing me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonpony View Post
    I used to get this when my cortisol levels were likely through the roof. Work on stress relief and relaxation. It should pass in a week if you do. Cortisol has a 24 hour half life in the body.

It has a 66 minute half life. Up to 120 mins in excessive load periods.

It peaks around 8am but since it's linked to diurnal rhythm, that must alter in line with sleep pattern.

But I certainly have always had the worst part of my anxiety upon waking.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It has a 66 minute half life. Up to 120 mins in excessive load periods.

It peaks around 8am but since it's linked to diurnal rhythm, that must alter in line with sleep pattern.

But I certainly have always had the worst part of my anxiety upon waking.
    Interesting that you said it has a 66 min half life. My therapist told me 24 hours. Can you please tell me more about the cortisol life, please? I may have misunderstood my therapist.

Yes. It's very common.

My doc told me it's because of interruptions during the sleep cycles. It's common to have nausea with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonpony View Post
    Interesting that you said it has a 66 min half life. My therapist told me 24 hours. Can you please tell me more about the cortisol life, please? I may have misunderstood my therapist.

The 1-2 hour mark, or similiar variations, are quoted in various medical texts. What your therapist might have been trying to explain was perhaps the daily cycle but that wouldn't involve a half life. People often think a half life is half the overall time to elimination but in pharmacokinetics it takes 7 times the half life to be completely eliminated from the body. At each half life it reduces by 50% of tree current level e.g. If half life is 66 mins then that's 50%, another 66 mins takes it to 25%, another 66 mins takes it to 12.5%, etc. This is a standard calculation used so it varies per drug and there are factors such such as renal insufficiency that cause variation, if a child or pensioner causes variation, etc. This is when assessing elimination, because Cortisol is mostly metabolised I'm not sure without checking if this means a variation of it's own.

Cortisol is highest as we wake, as Josh says, because it's thought to be a stress response to prepare us for the day. It then starts to decline through the day. This makes sense for those of us who struggle more in the first half of the day but makes less sense for those who struggle later in the day. So, it's only one factor in our anxiety but perhaps more important to some of us in changing how we react to it?

There is a good page on Wiki explaining Cortisol awakening response:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cort...ening_response

It's all tied to our diurnal rhythm which is perhaps more what the therapist was trying to get across? It looks like this:

That spike makes sense to to me because I can remember having terrible trouble waking an hour or two before I was due to and I was very anxious. I couldn't get back to sleep and just made myself worse.

Something else I have found is that it is better to just get up and get moving. 90% of Cortisol is metabolised by the body rather than excreted. With adrenaline we get light exercise to burn that off which is largely metabolising it into something else the body needs. So, perhaps we can influence Cortisol the same way? That's something I haven't got as far as checking into.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 25-05-17 at 07:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information