Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Als MND panic- please help me!

Re: Als MND panic- please help me!

Jojo this is wonderful news! I am so very happy for you! Thank you as well for asking so many well thought out questions and posting your answers here, you’re amazing! I hope you can put all this behind you and go on with a long and happy life! Much love ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by niknakx View Post
    Jojo this is wonderful news! I am so very happy for you! Thank you as well for asking so many well thought out questions and posting your answers here, you’re amazing! I hope you can put all this behind you and go on with a long and happy life! Much love ❤️
    No - sorry that’s not my post! I found it on a BFS forum and I copied it here….. because I liked it! But this person’s neurologist did say very similar things to the one I saw two years ago. It makes me happy to see they are reading from the same song sheet! Hope you are ok? I’ve been a twitching anxious MESS recently!!

JoJo sending huge hugs. One day at a time.

Here I am again with an update for my silly little blog. I’m not looking for reassurance- I know the score- and I’ve been in this hole too long to deserve it. It’s just I find it good therapy to keep a record when I hit a bad patch (and I do have periods of being ok, I promise!)
    Anyway. Here goes. I’ve been twitching for years, (and worrying about als for years!!), but recently I’ve had a twitching hot spot just below my elbow on my left arm. This caused me to examine myself for atrophy and I discovered my left arm is about half an inch smaller below the elbow. This caused an immediate spiral and a flurry of strength testing. And low and behold my left wrist is much weaker. Yesterday I could’nt hold it straight for longer than 16 seconds holding a 6kg weight. This morning I can’t hold it straight with a 6kg weight AT ALL (which is presumably because I’ve been brutalising my poor body again). My grip strength has also fallen off a cliff. Yet again, I’m crying down this damned stupid hole.
    Silly me xxxx

FWIW, I don't think I could have ever held a 6kg weight at the end of an extended wrist, ever. I do have very tiny wrists, though (all those online 'frame size' calculators estimate I'm about 12 years old ) And! I too get the elbow hotspots (above, not below, but same idea.) Last, you know this, but want to say it for the peanut gallery: Clinical weakness isn't the same as normal old muscle fatigue! Clinical weakness is more like staring at a muscle that just won't move, or tripping on toes that fold under you or a forefoot that won't lift, or having stuff fall right out of your hand. You held that weight. That alone practically eliminates what you're worried over! Sending much love.

Is there any way you can stop yourself from self-testing mode? Any way you can hold back from that very first attempt to justify your fears? How do you know what self-test you need to do?

Thank you so much for the replies, both.
    I know that self-testing is nearly always a silly thing to do. I am a drug addict giving in to another hit.
    My left arm seems to be stronger now (due to relentless strength testing) . But the real problem- anxiety - sadly remains.
    xxx

You have always been incredibly honest about your HA, jojo. You never make excuses for what you put yourself through. Why do we need to punish ourselves? I suppose if we knew we could work on it.
    Maybe it's just something we need to do? xx

I think “honesty” is a decoy in some senses. I can use my “insight” to fool doctors and psychologists and family into thinking I have a better handle on things than I do. When in fact I am actually an out and out nut job!!
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I think “honesty” is a decoy in some senses. I can use my “insight” to fool doctors and psychologists and family into thinking I have a better handle on things than I do. When in fact I am actually an out and out nut job!!
    xxx
    Yes... I think "insight" is much welcomed by docs because it lets them off the hook.

I've never heard of a nut job with insight!You're just very thorough with your health issues! xxx

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread Information