Thread: Zofran/ondansetron

Zofran/ondansetron

Hi

I know the med above is an anti sickness med but it's chemically related to anti depressants, could anyone give me their views on it? I've been on it 2 days alongside mirt and quetiapine and I feel good!

Re: Zofran/ondansetron

Ondansetron is a 5HT3 receptor antagonist in medicine us doctors use it to control nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy as the 5HT3 receptor antagonists are believed to be the gold standard for controlling this type of nausea and vomiting. 5HT3 receptor antagonists are good at controlling anxiety too, but I have noticed you are taking both Mirtazapine and Quetiapine both of which are actually 5HT3 antagonists already so you're now taking 3 drugs which are 5HT3 receptor antagonists, also with their antidopamine and antihistamine properties I certainly can't see you vomiting anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lliiaamm0099 View Post
    Ondansetron is a 5HT3 receptor antagonist in medicine us doctors use it to control nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy as the 5HT3 receptor antagonists are believed to be the gold standard for controlling this type of nausea and vomiting. 5HT3 receptor antagonists are good at controlling anxiety too, but I have noticed you are taking both Mirtazapine and Quetiapine both of which are actually 5HT3 antagonists already so you're now taking 3 drugs which are 5HT3 receptor antagonists, also with their antidopamine and antihistamine properties I certainly can't see you vomiting anytime soon.

Thanks for your response :-)

Lol glad I'm not anxious about being sick! I reduced my mirt from 45 to 30 so I got some ondansetron to help with a bit of nausea I had on the drop.

These drugs have given a cast iron stomach.

I was surprised by the ondansetron helping to calm me down alongside my quetiapine and mirt.

I just didn't want the ondansetron to negatively impact serotonin as I have had a few waves of suicidal depressive episodes so last thing I want to do is set one of them off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Benjammin69 View Post
    I just didn't want the ondansetron to negatively impact serotonin as I have had a few waves of suicidal depressive episodes so last thing I want to do is set one of them off!
    Don't worry about it negatively impacting on your serotonin as far as anxiety is concerned the 5HT3 receptor being stimulated is considered to be negative as it usually increases anxiety.

I know the med above is an anti sickness med but it's chemically related to anti depressants, could anyone give me their views on it?
    I first became aware of ondansetron (aka GR38032F) in the 1980s when GSK were trialing it as an anti anxiety med. By all accounts it was a very potent anxiolytic comparable to benzodiazepines (BZDs) but without their withdrawal issues (at least in mice, it also blocks BZD withdrawal symptoms, and has been used to ease opiate withdrawal in humans), or with few of the common antidepressant side-effects.

But then they discovered how effective it also was in controlling nausea, especially chemo and radiation therapy caused nausea and GSK switched the focus to that as it was more lucrative. In the 1990s hospitals were paying US$5 per pill. Even after it came out of patent it was still more expensive that BZDs and antidepressants. I don't know if this is still the case.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    I first became aware of ondansetron (aka GR38032F) in the 1980s when GSK were trialing it as an anti anxiety med. By all accounts it was a very potent anxiolytic comparable to benzodiazepines (BZDs) but without their withdrawal issues (at least in mice, it also blocks BZD withdrawal symptoms, and has been used to ease opiate withdrawal in humans), or with few of the common antidepressant side-effects.

But then they discovered how effective it also was in controlling nausea, especially chemo and radiation therapy caused nausea and GSK switched the focus to that as it was more lucrative. In the 1990s hospitals were paying US$5 per pill. Even after it came out of patent it was still more expensive that BZDs and antidepressants. I don't know if this is still the case.

Hi PDU how are you?

I defo have a strange psych and doc when it comes to prescribing meds!

I picked up a box of 30 tablets for £6.50 via a private prescription.

So I'm on 30mg mirtazapine ,300 seroquel, 50 hydroxyzine PRN and 4mg ondansetron x3 daily.

Hi PDU how are you?
    Apart from being cold - today's been the first really cold day this year - I'm great. Hope you are too, Ben.

I picked up a box of 30 tablets for £6.50 via a private prescription.
    I'm due to get my scripts refilled next week and I'll ask about pricing here compared to antidepressants.

I defo have a strange psych and doc when it comes to prescribing meds!

So I'm on 30mg mirtazapine ,300 seroquel, 50 hydroxyzine PRN and 4mg ondansetron x3 daily.
    I'm having trouble understanding what they are trying to achieve and has me wondering if they are "strange" or just floundering.

As lliiaamm0099 pointed out, 3 of the meds are 5-HT3 antagonists, and mirtazapine, quetiapine and hydroxyzine are all primarily antihistamines, plus they each also antagonize 5-HT2a receptors, albeit only moderately. What is the point in taking multiple meds all doing the same thing? I also wonder whether this drug mix is causing more problems than it's solving. Imho, you need to get a second opinion, Ben!
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 28-05-17 at 09:07. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Apart from being cold - today's been the first really cold day this year - I'm great. Hope you are too, Ben.

I'm due to get my scripts refilled next week and I'll ask about pricing here compared to antidepressants.

I'm having trouble understanding what they are trying to achieve and has me wondering if they are "strange" or just floundering.

As lliiaamm0099 pointed out, 3 of the meds are 5-HT3 antagonists, and mirtazapine, quetiapine and hydroxyzine are all primarily antihistamines, plus they each also antagonize 5-HT2a receptors, albeit only moderately. What is the point in taking multiple meds all doing the same thing? I also wonder whether this drug mix is causing more problems than it's solving. Imho, you need to get a second opinion!

Yeah I am slowly reducing the mirtazapine I went from 45 to 30 with little disruption except slight nausea. I want to drop down to 15 soon my aim althou my psych isn't really happy is to get off the mirt and Stay on quetiapine only. I don't really take the hydroxyzine to be honest. I have a choice of hydroxyzine or diazepam but my Diaz is limited so it's good to have 2 options available.

I must admit my mood has been great lots of energy and less anxiety - anxiety still there but I think it always will be but it's not ruling my world!

We have a mini heat wave here due to end today at lunch where the rain will rear its ugly head!

I want to drop down to 15 soon my aim althou my psych isn't really happy is to get off the mirt and Stay on quetiapine only.
    Did he say why he wants you on both, Ben? They do almost the exact same thing and what differences there are are so minor I doubt anyone could detect them. Check that his degree isn't from the Kellogg's cereal company!

Thread Information