Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxious about things I have no control over

Anxious about things I have no control over

That's me. I'm mostly ok, just going through life as normal but sometimes something will happen which sets me spiralling into anxious thoughts which take over my mind. I know it's things that I have no control over the outcome and I get carried away with the "what ifs" and start catastrophising.

The thing is, I don't really talk about what's bothering me. I will when it first happens (the event), but then I just think about it in my head because everyone will think I'm over reacting, which I know I am. I want to talk about things that are bothering me all the time and I want reassurance that everything will turn out fine. My husband won't indulge me and tell me that everything will be ok, but that's what I need. But he's not that kind of person and that makes me sad because he won't do this thing for me to make me feel better. Just a few words from him would make a big difference and I don't care if he's lying, it's what I need. As a result, I don't talk to him much about how I'm feeling either. I'm ashamed to admit to friends and family the extent of my worries. I put on this front of being laid back and not concerned but it's not true. And I've got so much to be grateful for in my life, which makes me feel worse.

I feel like I need some sort of support group but not sure if I could go and talk about personal stuff in front of a group of strangers.

The thing is, once this current thing is resolved, one way or another, I will be fine and I don't get like this, to this bad extent, all the time. Last time was a year ago for exactly the same reason, incidentally, and it all turned out ok. I don't generally have anxiety for no reason. I can always pinpoint the reason why I am anxious, which makes me reluctant to take meds for it as once this is over, I will calm down and get back to normal. Meantime, overthinking and driving myself mad.

Sorry I am rambling on but it helps to get it all out, someone might read it, and maybe find out that I am not the only one like this.

Re: Anxious about things I have no control over

if you don't need meds, fight on

Humly - I understand how you feel. You can give out wise words of advice to others which you know is correct and truthful, but when you're in the same situation, you doubt your own thoughts. You need to hear it from someone else to believe it.

This forum is great for doing that. Just wish there was a chat room we could all use and chat to people who not feeling well and all help each other in real time.

Thanks Shakey. That's so true. I sometimes say things and play down my situation, and pretend things are ok, but they're not. Yes I need to hear it from other people to believe it.

I was just about to delete this thread. I just think people haven't got time for me because I moan but won't take meds and they lose patience with me. Just need to talk to feel better.

Hi Humly people on here do care and actually don't mind if you vent,moan or what ever you want to call it And as for meds some members swear by them others don't some use therapy and meds together there is no one size fits all. See you been here for some years, can I ask how well you are recovering and sure we all have set backs. Are you receiving any out side support like therapy? We are all here for each other to help and advise where we can Cheers

Thanks Bigboyuk. Yes I've been on here for years. Used to suffer with health anxiety but not too bothered by that now. My anxiety is intermittent and not constant but sometimes it hits and I spiral downwards, usually when I over react to a situation which affects me or my family.
    I've been on meds in the past but I don't think it's the right thing for me. I've had a short course of telephone guided cbt but didn't engage with it. I knew more about it than the therapist to be honest. I know what I should be doing but don't/can't put it into practice.
    I'm quite ashamed of myself and embarrassed as I think lots of people have real and serious problems to deal with and mine are not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Humly View Post
    Thanks Shakey. That's so true. I sometimes say things and play down my situation, and pretend things are ok, but they're not. Yes I need to hear it from other people to believe it.

I was just about to delete this thread. I just think people haven't got time for me because I moan but won't take meds and they lose patience with me. Just need to talk to feel better.
    If your anxiety is really bad you will take meds believe me , and if chronic you would walk over broken glass barefoot to fetch your meds , If you wont take meds your not that ill and dont need them

My anxiety gets really bad and I won't take meds. Don't beat yourself up over that Humly

Quote Originally Posted by Humly View Post
    Thanks Bigboyuk. Yes I've been on here for years. Used to suffer with health anxiety but not too bothered by that now. My anxiety is intermittent and not constant but sometimes it hits and I spiral downwards, usually when I over react to a situation which affects me or my family.
    I've been on meds in the past but I don't think it's the right thing for me. I've had a short course of telephone guided cbt but didn't engage with it. I knew more about it than the therapist to be honest. I know what I should be doing but don't/can't put it into practice.
    I'm quite ashamed of myself and embarrassed as I think lots of people have real and serious problems to deal with and mine are not really.
    Np I think the key thing here is You know what you should be doing, but don't or cant put it in to practice if you cant then you still need to get some help on this If you don't put it in to practice then ask your self why, It doesn't matter if you only suffer now and then you still suffer right?! And your problems are just as real to you as they are the next person. Cheers

Regarding NHS "therapy ". I tried it twice. First time was with a very nice young lady, very young actually who I just couldn't take seriously :(. Second time was with 2 ladies and I spent the whole session educating them on mindfulness. So that was a waste of time lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information