Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should I ask for citlopam ?

should I ask for citlopam ?

Hi everyone, Ive suffered with GAD for 6 years now and Iam going thru a bad patch at the moment, keep getting breathless and panicky and Im so fed up with it all .
    AsIve only ever tried diazepam before I am thinking of asking my gp for something else and I read on here that lots of people say Citlopam has helped them out alot with anxiety.

Can every one whos taking it please please give me an honest opinion about this med to help me make my decision cos I am medication phobic.
    Also is it ok to take the contraceptive pill whilst on this too ?

Anything you can tell me PLEASE do .

Re: should I ask for citlopam ?

Hi Mirry

I am on citalopram again..very reluctantly but it seems to have helped me I am a lost less nervy now and seem to be getting on with life a little better

The first 2 weeks on the tablets were a bit of a nightmare but if you carry on with them it settles down, I am on 20mg a day at the moment. The CMHT wanted me to increase to 40mg but my doc said no.....and he is the expert lol. Apparently for "panic disorders" you should be on at least 40....think she was just reading from a chart .

Hope this helps any other q's feel free to pm me

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember

thanks steph xxx

mirry ~ everyone takes to different medication differently.... you need to decide whether you want to take it or not... it should be a personal thing... if you're anxious about taking it anyway then hearing negative stories about it will only make your anxiety about it worse... on the other hand if you've started this post hoping to hear good stories to encourage/persuade you to make the decision to start taking it then don't you already have your answer???

Hi Mirry

You'll have to ask your GP about the pregnancy bit, but I took Citalopram for 5mnths and after having a very rough couple of weeks began to think it was a wonder drug!!

But, that was just me - as Honeybee says, everybody reacts in their own way to medication.

Your GP may even think it's not the one for you - you must take his advice as we can only give you our expereinces and opinions.

Big hugsand I hope you get sorted real soon.

Hi there

its a difficult task deciding what meds you think you should be on. Only you and your GP can make that dissicion but i will say Im on a combination of drugs to keep my head above water. One of which is Citalipram 40mg per day, docs are thinking about increasing to 60mg.
    it took a while for me to adjust to it but I must say it helped with the sever anxiety and the OCD.

I hope you get a positive result with what ever you decide.
    Take care
    ness

Hi there!
    I have found citalopram to work for me.The frist two weeks i found very hard with increased anxiety and panic.
    I very nearly stopped taking them,but i thought, i feel horrid without them as well as when taking them.So i decided to be strong and get on with it.I found this forum a god send when it came to moaning about the sideaffects.
    I slowly increased the dose over three months up to 20mg.Then in nov i slowly dropped the dose every other month and finshed with them last friday!!
    For me they were a godsend,they took the panick away and gave me time to sort out any issues i may have had.
    Good luck on what ever you decidexxxxx

Hi Mirry,

I am on 20 mg of this and my life is no much better. The first three weeks were not good, but bearable - mainly just felt sick and didnt fancy eating, lost loads of weight lol!!

I was also dreading not having my glass of wine in the evening, but I can have half to one glass every evening and I am fine.

Like other people have said, different meds have different effects on other people, but I dread to think where I would be know if I hadnt taken the plunge!!! I still have a long way to go but life is LOADS better!

Hope this helps

Take care

Lisa

hey mirry,

I started taking citalopram 20mg 6 weeks ago now, I started it while still taking diazapam which I think helped me over the worse couple of weeks. I have stopped the diazapam now and am beginning to feel more like me. It is personal choice whether to take meds or not, a chat with your gp will help sot this out. I can only go on personal experience and mine is very positive.

good luck with what ever you choose, take care mirry,

love lindy xxx

Thanks everyone !

My appointment is on thursday, but today I have had a kinda of good day (only panicked in the shop) so Im thinking maybe I can cope ? But then again Ive had some real nasty days lately with morbid thoughts , my heart races and Im so tired of it.

I will see what my doctor thinks about it all. .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information