Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant anxiety in stomach for weeks now

Constant anxiety in stomach for weeks now

Hi there, this is my first post, so hello everyone

I have quite a specific problem. My anxiety manifests itself mainly in the stomach. This 'anxious stomach' has been pretty constant over the last four weeks, and quite severe. It kind of feels like persistent adrenaline in the upper stomach.

It is very debilitating, wearing me out. My breathing is affected, as it feels shorter and slightly weaker. Also, I have a poor appetite – I sometimes have to force myself to eat.

Another major concern is that I'm really not sleeping well. Typically, these last four weeks, I wake up at 4am/5am and cannot get back to sleep because of the anxiety 'in my stomach'.

I have experienced this before. Most notably back in 2014. Back then though I could pinpoint why it was happening (I've had to deal with horrendous things in my life with regard to the health of my immediate family). I avoided the medication route back then, receiving bereavement counselling and myself addressing the issues that I thought were exacerbating the problem.

I must admit that, since 2014, I do tend to overthink things and I worry far too much... a result of the events in my family life.

This time though, I'm not sure of the trigger. I was made redundant and do have career/money worries, but nothing I thought would cause such bad anxiety.

I have tried breathing exercises and meditation. It does help a little but the benefits are fleeting.

Anyone experience similar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Constant anxiety in stomach for weeks now

Hi there and welcome. I think you absolutely do have a reason for this anxiety in the form of your redundancy, career and money worries. These things would bring alot of people down for sure. I think you went through such trauma in 2014 when you last experienced anxiety symptoms, that you're thinking that nothing would ever compare to that, so why would something which to you seems less devastating bring on anxiety.

Losing your job is a big deal, so i'm not surprised your stomach is doing flip flops, or that you're having disturbed sleep. You say you're a worrier and that in itself can produce stress and physical symptoms...even when there's nothing to worry about, let alone when there is!

I'm assuming you still don't want to go down the meds route? I take my hat off to anybody who copes with anxiety without meds, however they do have their place short term. I take beta blockers which stop the adrenalin from hurtling around and calms my heart down really well, and they're not mind-altering drugs like others are. Alternatively you could perhaps try the many natural remedies out there such as Valerian and Kalms which are nature's tranquilisers.

Good to meet you
    ISB ☺

Thank you for the welcome and reply ISB, much appreciated.

What you say very much rings true. I probably have made comparisons with my previous major episode. I really liked my job and I guess I've been in denial too since leaving there.

Yes, I'm reluctant to go down the medication route. Thanks for the recommendations though – I will definitely look into these. I will go and see my GP in the next few days too. She is aware of my previous history with anxiety and has been very understanding in the past.

Hi
    I can sympathize with you. My anxiety always gets me in the stomach, that tensed up "knot" in the stomach. It is torture for sure.
    Benzodiazapines are the only thing that take it away but they are not the answer.
    I have tried many other meds and CBT with no luck.
    I am due to start a new med tomorrow and I am scared stiff, I'm afraid of meds but this is not living.
    I really hope you find something to help you soon.
    Please take care.
    Mugs

Hello,

My anxiety and panic were non existent for a Long time but just came back with a vengeance.

The hardest thing for me right now is the impending doom nervous feeling in my gut. It's is CONSTANT. I'm naturally a rational person so letting anxiety gets its grasp around me is very tough.

I don't want to go on medication again as the withdrawal coming off was brutal for me so I'm trying to fight the battle.

It's super hard.
    Wishing us all the luck and here if you need a friend

My mind is my worst enemy is so true!

you started with stress now its turned to anxiety, your gut it the main place it hits you need the toilet like 24-7 all day and at night you toss and turn, when you get a new job you will be cool you have too much time on your hands now and think too much

Thank you for your replies and kind words.

I went to see my GP on Friday. She suggested a low dose of Pregabalin, so I agreed to try medication for the first time. Pregabalin has few side effects I understand.

Just hope I can lose this anxious stomach feeling and get some proper sleep soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobusGirl32 View Post
    Hello,

My anxiety and panic were non existent for a Long time but just came back with a vengeance.

The hardest thing for me right now is the impending doom nervous feeling in my gut. It's is CONSTANT. I'm naturally a rational person so letting anxiety gets its grasp around me is very tough.

I don't want to go on medication again as the withdrawal coming off was brutal for me so I'm trying to fight the battle.

It's super hard.
    Wishing us all the luck and here if you need a friend
    You have described exactly how my anxiety manifests. That horrid sense of doom, which plays with you all day long. It's the worst aspect of it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGeeza View Post
    You have described exactly how my anxiety manifests. That horrid sense of doom, which plays with you all day long. It's the worst aspect of it for me.
    It's awful, I sympathise with you all. Difficult to focus on anything else when having to deal with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information