Thread: Panic attack on driving test/ driving test nerves

Exclamation Panic attack on driving test/ driving test nerves

Hi! I'm 18 and ive been taking anxiety meds since December now, im a very anxious person normally but especially with tests and exams. I have my driving test on the 27th June and my driving instructor is very supportive and kind with me and has said he will sit in on my test with me, we've also had to declare i have anxiety on my forms when we applied for the test.

However, what i'm worried about is
    A) getting in the car, what if i start having a panic attack before
    b) if i get anxious before it, if i got too anxious like past the point of typical nerves, would the examiner/ or my instructor stop me doing the test?
    C) what happens if i started having a panic attack during the test on the roads whilst we're driving? will the examiner be able to pull the car over?

AHHH, i also have my a-levels and am in a show from now until my driving test so my anxiety is going to be high anyway because of those other things.

Re: Panic attack on driving test/ driving test nerves

Hey! Good luck on your test! I know that it is scary and right now I acxtually have panic attacks while driving so I hope I can help.
    If you have a panic attack before just reschedule. Do some breathing exercises before you go.
    I think they are probably pretty used to seeing anxious people before their first test. If you are to the point that you look like you can not physically take the test they may not let you take the test for safety reasons.
    If you start having an attack while driving, breathe! Know that you will be ok. If it is too much you can definitely let the instructor know and Im sure they will not hold it against you. You will not faint, or die, or stop breathing while you are having an attack. Tell yourself that over and over again, thats what I do!

Again I wish you the best of luck!

We all get nervous when we take tests! Its normal! Have you practiced? Your instructor is supportive. Just breath slowly, concentrate on what you need to do. Trust me I've been there, I failed the first time, I was 22 and we have to parallel park here in the states, or at least we used to. I even went on to get my CDL class B, a truck that weighs 26k, (not the real big one) I was terrified, but I passed. You got this!

I had a panic attack right before I was about to take my test but I managed to get trough it. My driving instructor told me that if I felt anxious during the test to tell the instructor that I was anxious and needed to pull over. Just remember to check your mirrors and indicate before you pull over. I was actually fine during the test though, even though my anxiety was high, I still managed to breathe through it and I actually passed my test first time. You will be fine, good luck!

Thread Information