Thread: Can't think straight

Can't think straight

I'm working on 5 things at the moment, I have more than one anxiety related problem, and i'm working on 3 of them, (agoraphobia, social phobia and my OCD).

I feel like it's too much and i've felt overwhelmed with it all this weekend. I've been low and on Friday I went for my usual walk and had a panic attack.

I had a think and thought if I could stop with one of the things i'm working on, then that might help. And I decided that the thing I'm doing to help with social phobia, the confidence course, it might help if I dropped that. It is the hardest thing i'm doing at the moment. I've been to the same place for another group and I'm always highly anxious when i'm there.

So I told my therapist that this morning. She is concerned if I drop that because she says I need to be in a social situation and also need to be working on independence. Both of which I would get from going to the course. And everything i'm doing at the moment, i'm working with someone.

So I'm confused. I felt that was the best thing to drop. Everything else I do I don't think I should drop and I can't think straight and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice they could give me?

Thank you,
    Heather

Re: Can't think straight

the social course may be highly benificial to the other courses as you will probably be woring in groups?
    just go with what you think ,in the end you will make the right decision.
    if you want to chat then pm me .

adam x

Hi Heths, at the end of the day it's your decision but maybe the fact this is the hardest thing you're doing makes it the most important. I don't know about you but I have a tendency to put off the difficult things in favour of things I know I can do, but that means I never really make any progress because I won't face the main problems, which are always the most trying ones. This might not be the case with you but thought I'd mention it just incase! Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Recovering from anxiety is hard work,giving up on the thing you find hardest will only make it all take longer. The best way to overcome your fears is to face them in a controlled situation, really hard to do. So please carry on with everything you are doing if you can

Thank you for the replies.

I'm still confused over what to do, my therapist wants to discuss it with me at our next appointment.

I'm torn at the moment between staying with the things I have to do or making things feel more manageable.

Thank you all for advice, I've been giving it alot of thought. Hopefully I'll sort it out soon.

Thank you,
    Heather x

Thread Information