Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocd or pedophilia???

Re: Pocd or pedophilia???

Quote Originally Posted by Homer47 View Post
    One thing is don't avoid being around your kid or kids. Just let the feelings come and go. Even if the anxiety is making you think of the worst things ever. Just stay and don't avoid. Will be hard to do but you will get through it. I did with that worry.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Have you gone to the doctors for cbt etc. That's what they will go through with is exposure. I once had a fear of changing my baby girls nappy. Invade of the worst happening if I lost control, which I never. I even changed her app once when I took her to one of my sessions many moons ago.

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

You are definitely not alone on this new mums or just mums get this as well.
    Sorry, Isn't MrPainter a dad and not a Mum?.

I wouldn't ever do anything to harm anyone, I think it's sick, that's why I'm so anxious and depressed because of it all, it's just very hard to deal with, I'm not aroused at all around kids or thinking about it

And that's why it's OCD, MrPainter. Paedophiles enjoy & explore their thoughts. In OCD, like all intrusive thoughts, are ego dystonic (opposite of true character & beliefs) and it's very uncommon for an OCD sufferer to act on their thoughts (compulsions aren't about acting on them?

Sexual sensation is a well known issue in these cases and it's because we are talking about an area of the brain that responds to stimuli. Then your subconscious will look to your identity, deep beliefs, etc to find this is wrong and pass the conflicting "data" to the conscious mind to ask what to do. The fear cycle only sees negative responses (panic, anxiety, guilt, shame, etc) and ticks a box in the cycle to reinforce it's need to be there. This doesn't mean you are X or becoming X, it's just about building a new fear in a fear cycle.

You've been referred for CBT, which is the standard for OCD.

Read about this subject from qualified sources like OCD UK. I found Steve Seay's articles very useful in the US and I would encourage you to read them as they explain all this. It will also explain about your covert compulsions which reinforce it e.g. The avoidance mentioned earlier in the thread.

And I don't enjoy this at all, it's draining me, I'll kill myself if I think I'm like that

The thing with intrusive thoughts is that if you let them upset you, they keep coming. If you learn not to react with negatives, you will start to see them fade and core belief changes occur.

Also work on reducing overall anxiety levels as these raising cause intrusive thoughts to spike. Reduce it and they won't be as intense or frequent.

How can you let an unwilling sexual arousal around children(albeit not voluntary) not to upset you?.

Are you advising to ignore it and belittle the posters feelings?.

I try and not think about things, I wake up and it's the first thing in my head, saying I'm like that and I hate how I'm thinking about it all, how do I stop thinking like it?

I go with the advice by the professionals. They explain all this, which I am happy explaining to the OP.

As if I'm belittling the OP I'm an OCD sufferer myself who has had intrusive thoughts and have spoken to many on here to try to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I go with the advice by the professionals. They explain all this, which I am happy explaining to the OP.

As if I'm belittling the OP I'm an OCD sufferer myself who has had intrusive thoughts and have spoken to many on here to try to help them.
    Absolutely no disrespect to the OP, but can I ask, do you have children Terry?.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpainter View Post
    I try and not think about things, I wake up and it's the first thing in my head, saying I'm like that and I hate how I'm thinking about it all, how do I stop thinking like it?
    In CBT they will teach you how to change your reaction to it. This may mean various ways but learning to rationalise thoughts in a positive/neutral way is one way.

Acceptance based methods including Mindfulness are also really good at training you to observe your thoughts without judging them.

It's not easy but you can learn to do it. All people have intrusive thoughts but they don't react to them and this is where you will get back to.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bottleblond View Post
    Absolutely no disrespect to the OP, but can I ask, do you have children Terry?.
    How is that relevant to how medical professionals treat intrusive thoughts? If you are trying to suggest I couldn't know how this feels, you can read my post history as I've spoken about my intrusive thoughts about my loved ones.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information