Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocd or pedophilia???

Re: Pocd or pedophilia???

It's very upsetting because my son and I have a great bond and we're really close, the fact that I'm having the thoughts that I'm like that is really effecting things, I'd rather be dead than to be a pedophile so does that mean I'm definitely not one?

Cath,

Compulsions in OCD are not like that at all. My context was that you don't act out the thoughts, but you do compulsions aimed to reduce fear.

Studies show anyone can get intrusive thoughts. They can be diagnosed within depression or OCD. In OCD they only become OCD if they sufficiently impact on your life therefore you don't need to have OCD.

The point is Terry, YOU are NOT a medical professional OR a parent, You just love to give your own opinion on things. It's so very easy to quote advice that you have not written yourself. Also if you don't have children then how on earth can you even begin to advise on this especially when actual parents are reading it. As I said before, it's no offence to the OP but I do find your advice extremely OCD positive which in fact, could have an adverse effect on the person posting.

I had a mental assessment when I first got ill with all of this about 6 years ago and they said I'm not a paedophile, I'm questioning because it's come back, I'm sure a paedo wouldn't stop being like it for 6 years and then start being one again??

MrPainter, have you read what OCD UK say?

https://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

Intrusive Thoughts - Intrusive thoughts, in the spectrum of OCD, are where a person generally suffers with obsessional thoughts that are repetitive, disturbing and often horrific and repugnant in nature. For example, thoughts of causing violent or sexual harm to loved ones.

Because the intrusive thoughts are repetitive and not voluntarily produced, they cause the sufferer extreme distress - the very idea that they are capable of having such thoughts in the first place can be horrifying. However, what we do know is that people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder are the least likely people to actually act on the thoughts, partly because they find them so repugnant and go to great lengths to avoid them and prevent them happening.

Intrusive thoughts can cover absolutely any subject, but the more common areas of OCD related concerns covers the following sub- categories:

Relationships.
    Sexual Thoughts - Fear of:
    Magical Thinking - believing that:
    Religious - believing that:
    Violent Thoughts - fear of:

ADDED THIS AS IT'S RELEVANT TO YOU:

Sexual Intrusive Thoughts - Obsessive thoughts of unintentionally causing inappropriate sexual harm (i.e. to children) unintentionally, or the constant questioning of one’s own sexuality are the main focuses for these obsessional doubts. Obsessional thoughts can include:

• Fearing being a paedophile and being sexually attracted to children.
    • Fearing being sexually attracted to members of one's own family.
    • Fearing being attracted to members of the same sex (homosexual OCD) or for those who are gay fear of being attracted to members of the opposite sex.
    • Thoughts about touching a child inappropriately.
    • Intrusive sexual thoughts about God, saints or, religious figures.

The constant analysing and questioning of one’s own sexual preferences, or the thought of being attracted to a child, are perhaps two of the most mentally disturbing aspects of OCD and, because of the nature of the thoughts, many sufferers are reluctant to seek help from health professionals, fearing they may be labelled.
    A person that experiences these types of intrusive thoughts will avoid public places, like shopping centres, in an attempt to avoid coming into close contact with children. They may also avoid spending time with younger members of the family. For a parent with this form of the illness they avoid bathing and hugging their own children which can lead to emotional distress for both children and parent

---------- Post added at 00:24 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bottleblond View Post
    The point is Terry, YOU are NOT a medical professional OR a parent, You just love to give your own opinion on things. It's so very easy to quote advice that you have not written yourself. Also if you don't have children then how on earth can you even begin to advise on this especially when actual parents are reading it. As I said before, it's no offence to the OP but I do find your advice extremely OCD positive which in fact, could have an adverse effect on the person posting.
    I'm quoting from OCD UK. I expect they understand OCD.

I have no interest in your dislike of me on this forum. This should be about helping the OP, not about your personal issue.

I've had intrusive thoughts about my loved ones. I'm not simply copy pasting information, I've been through violent intrusive thoughts.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 07-06-17 at 00:49.

Terry

We are not in the least bit interested in your quotes or pasted advice. Anyone of us could have done that. That Child's play (for want of a better expression).

Why come on here at all. Professor Google could have told us that.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer47 View Post
    Hi I had this especially when my daughter was at baby then toddler stage. The feeling in your groun area every time you were near my kid or even looking at her. Really thought I was a peodo, the very reason I had them thoughts is because I hated them so much and my daughter was and still is my world. I still get the odd thoughts and images but that's all they are. Your mind is focused on your groun area almost obsessively. You are definitely not alone mate. This will pass just let it pass.
    A parent giving the same advice as me.

Will they be disputed?

Yeah I've read a bit about it, i think I'm looking for some reassurance, lately I've been avoiding kids anywhere, apart from my son, I was mentally and physically abased as a child and would never hurt anyone like that, it scares me that I've been thinking like it, I've sat and planned how to kill myself and to take my money out of my banks and give it all to my son's mum for him

Have you told your GP this?

Ignore the rest, it's forum BS.

Well let a parent actually reply to this rather than word of mouth, shall we?.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information