Thread: SSRI effects after discontinuation? / energy levels

SSRI effects after discontinuation? / energy levels

Hi,
    I suffer a form of social/performance anxiety in the workplace and after many years of struggle I'm thinking about trying SSRI's for the first time.

My biggest concern is whether there are any long lasting effects on a person's brain chemistry/personality/thought processes when the use of SSRIs is stopped? I am aware of side effects and withdrawal problems but after this period, does a person revert to their 'old self'? I like being me (apart from the anxiety!) and I am nervous at the prospect of causing lasting changes/damage to myself that go beyond the course of the medication.

Also, how does SSRI affect energy levels? Do they make you feel tired/sleepy or more energised due to a higher mood/lower anxiety? Is it possible to exercise/workout on them?

Regards,
    Mike

Re: SSRI effects after discontinuation? / energy levels

Quote Originally Posted by mikey10 View Post
    I suffer a form of social/performance anxiety in the workplace and after many years of struggle I'm thinking about trying SSRI's for the first time.
    How does this manifest? Is it a constant anxiety, or specific to certain short-term situations?

My biggest concern is whether there are any long lasting effects on a person's brain chemistry/personality/thought processes when the use of SSRIs is stopped? I am aware of side effects and withdrawal problems but after this period, does a person revert to their 'old self'? I like being me (apart from the anxiety!) and I am nervous at the prospect of causing lasting changes/damage to myself that go beyond the course of the medication.
    You may have this the wrong way around, Mike. Parts of your brain are now in an 'abnormal' state and antidepressants correct this to some extent by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels.. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly. For a more detailed explanation see: How antidepressant drugs act.

When antidepressants are stopped the brain may begin reverting to its previous state if stress is an ongoing factor.

Also, how does SSRI affect energy levels? Do they make you feel tired/sleepy or more energised due to a higher mood/lower anxiety?
    The SSRIs are generally neutral to stimulating, however, some do experience sedation, especially at the beginning.

Is it possible to exercise/workout on them?
    Sure. Indeed, you should as exercise has been shown to trigger neurogenesis just as antidepressants do, albeit to a lesser extent.

Thread Information