Thread: Knot in stomach-Anxiety or something more?

Knot in stomach-Anxiety or something more?

I have just been through every test possible for my stomach. I am a busy mom of 4 and after a few days of clearing out after being constipated, I found this knot feeling in my stomach. It feels like hunger, but it doesn't go away after I eat. It doesn't go away at all. It's not really a pain but a gnawing, almost like it's about to growl from hunger but it never happens.

So I went to the ER because I hadn't been able to eat at all and so they did a CT scan (clear), abdominal ultrasound to look at gall bladder (normal), bloodwork (normal). They told me to follow up wth a GI. They began me on Prilosec for 2 weeks with no change. They did an endoscopy on Monday and said I was the picture of health. No issues at all.

This all leads me to wonder if this is all just anxiety and the unknown of it makes me more anxious which just compounds the issue.

I do have IBS but it's usually lower GI related. I've never had heartburn in my life, so I wouldn't know if that's what it is, but you'd think the Prilosec would be helping if it was.

I have been off all anxiety meds for 4 years, and because they killed my sex drive with my husband while I was on them, I'm really not wanting to go back on meds...but if it's going to mess me up this much...maybe I need to.

Re: Knot in stomach-Anxiety or something more?

Have you tried therapy or read any of the threads here on GAD? Anxiety can manifest into physical symptoms. You can learn how to cope with anxiety without medication, I know, cause I do it.

Hi! I have no insurance and any counselor is usually $100 a session which is just not in our budget right now (especially after spending thousands on the medical tests). I know so much is truly anxiety related, and then I get anxiety about the symptoms and it becomes a cycle. But when I'm going through it, it really feels like I'm struggling with true symptoms of something medical. So I go to the dr, they listen to my symptoms and agree that we need to find the cause, so all the tests are done and nothing comes of it. None of them suggest anxiety, but I don't know what else to think if all the major tests are normal.

I would love to find some alternatives to medication that won't cost me $100s. Things I can do from home and even have my hubby help me with.

You're in the states as I am. Most counties/cities have mental health services. Contact your local hospital and ask for a referral to a mental health agency. I get my therapy for free. You can also call Social Services and see what services they can refer you too. Some agencies may be free or charge based on your income.

I get this when I'm holding a lot of tension in my stomach, even when I don't realize it!

It's sort of like a knot like feeling. I've been worried thinking it was some kind of cancer lump - like pancreatic or stomach cancer.

Just got an abdominal ultrasound today but when asked about pain I said no because I wouldn't really classify it as pain, just a full feeling. :(

This is exactly it! A fullness, like I can't relax the muscle enough to burp or release. The feeling right before your stomach growls...but the growl doesn't come...and eating doesn't make it stop. Deep breathing can help, but it doesn't last. Possibly because I go back to shallow breathing and holding my stomach muscles in. I don't feel it when I lay down...which would make sense if it's a muscular tension because it relaxes when I lay down. Just frustrated because the dr can't tell me for sure it's anxiety, so I just continue to worry about the feelings and hope it's not something they're missing.

Most likely GAD. Once you find a way to break the cycle it will disappear. Stress does crazy thing to different parts of the body. Not to go against your Dr but PPI have there use. But long term not so good. Try changing your diet. Its not easy when you feel bad and have stress and anxiety over a health condition. Your mind is probably on overdrive. Take care you will find a way.

Hello.
    I also have the full feeling and it only goes away when I lie down which is something I cannot do all the time with a ONE year old.

But I've noticed sometimes how tense I am and that I'm constantly holding my stomach muscles in and can't seem to train myself to stop.

It's crazy what anxiety can do to your mind and to your body. I'm trying not to lose myself to it again...

I know exactly what you're talking about!!

I legit have felt that I'm the only one who feels this way. It started like two years ago. I looked at myself in the mirror after a shower and was like hmm why is there a lump on this side of my stomach? I then continued to push and prod and press on that spot. I could feel something. And I had that exact feeling. That's how I describe it too. I went to urgent care after a couple days and the doc said that it was ibs. I wasn't satisfied so I saw three more doctors. All said ibs. My GP sat down with me and did three thorough exams. She felt the area I was talking about and explained that things are moving all the time and anxiety makes us more aware of that than other people who don't have anxiety like we do. For me it's a pocket of air that gets trapped or stool that is moving and I can feel it pass a part of my stomach. I still worry sometimes that it's bowel c or intestinal c but it's been over two years and I seem to be fine sooooo I'm sure if it was bad something would have happened by now.

Try to stick with meditation. Michael Sealey on YouTube is a gift. I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one feeling this way. Mine comes and goes now but for awhile it was constant.

Thread Information