Thread: What should I expect?

What should I expect?

Hello all!

I have only been suffering from HA for a short time, and I am only 26 years old. I decided the other day that if I quit smoking, it may help me conquer the HA that is CONSUMING me.

And so I did. Today is day 2 of not smoking and to be honest I feel okay. But I know this probably wont last long, it cant be this easy to quit.

So my question is this. For those of you that have quit, what was the hardest part? Was it easier in the beginning and harder towards the end? I know I'm doing good so far, but I havent had any withdrawal symptoms, though Im sure theyre coming.

Any advice is very much appreciated! 😁

Re: What should I expect?

Firstly, congratulations on being a non-smoker!

I honestly can't remember how hard I found it the last time I quit. It was a long time ago and it was very different from all the previous times I'd tried because I had a severe chest infection and couldn't breathe properly. The last thing I wanted to do was smoke.

I do remember when I felt well again, having a strong craving, not for nicotine, but for exhaling the smoke. I used to sometimes just purse my lips and blow out, as if I was blowing out smoke and I found it helped me. Like this, without the whistling:

The only other things were that I found drinking alcohol wasn't as pleasurable without a smoke, so I stopped drinking for a while. Also, after a meal I felt a bit deprived temporarily. These feelings get less and less as time goes on.

You might want to change some habits for a while (the ones that remind you of smoking), until you get used to being a non-smoker. If money is tight for you, it also helps to add up how much money you're saving.

If you feel any particular craving, try and find an alternative thing that gives you the same feeling - hope that makes sense.

You might be one of the lucky ones who finds it surprisingly easy. My partner says he had no cravings or symptoms at all, he just stopped! It does happen.

Best of luck with it, it's worth it

Congratulation on quitting! You just did yourself a HUGE favor! Stay strong and keep up the good work!

For me, I had no choice (cancer). I smoked cigarettes then went to a pipe and cigars and at the time I got sick, I had been strictly a cigar smoker for at least 10 years. That being said, I was in the process of quitting when the shite hit the fan. I switched to vaping on an e-cig, tapered down the nicotine and quit.

The hardest part for me was the kinaesthetic aspect or "what the hell do I do with my hands?!" aspect. I carry around one of those flavored cigarette shaped pacifiers that you can play with and suck on. My wife calls in my "pencil"

As far as what to expect? Everyone is different. It's been 5 years since I quit. I gag at the smell of cigarette smoke but I have to say I get a craving if I get a whiff of a good cigar. I miss having a good stogie and glass of scotch while watching football on Sundays but other than that I do fine.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Congrats! I never smoked cigarettes personally, but I have many close friends who have and quit!

It seemed that for a lot of my friends who tried quitting for a while, getting past ~1 week was the hardest. Their determination got them through the first couple days, but when you aren't so set on quitting and your motivation isn't as fresh on your mind, you will likely find yourself compulsively just wanting to go for a smoke.

Everyone I know that has been able to get past TWO weeks was able to quit for as long as they wanted (some people just wanted breaks from cigs, wanted to prove they could stop, etc. many friends that got past two weeks quit forever). Two weeks, in my experience, is your magic number.

Until then, find something else to keep yourself occupied with. Instead of your cigs, keep a bottle of water on you, or maybe a fidget spinner. SOMETHING. Give yourself something else to hold on to, and perhaps put in your mouth (a water bottle) if you are someone who likes that feeling.

Good luck!

Thread Information