Thread: Got a weird smell in my nostril it's freaking me out

Got a weird smell in my nostril it's freaking me out

It kinda smells like soap or hand wash. Like I got it up my nose somehow. But I don't know. It's only one nostril

I'm resisting the urge to Google, but I'm starting to panic here

Re: Got a weird smell in my nostril it's freaking me out

Quote Originally Posted by Jarofflies View Post
    It kinda smells like soap or hand wash. Like I got it up my nose somehow. But I don't know. It's only one nostril

I'm resisting the urge to Google, but I'm starting to panic here
    So you somehow got soap or handwash up your nose

Are you panicking because you think soap up your nose will hurt you (it won't) or some other reason?

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    So you somehow got soap or handwash up your nose

Are you panicking because you think soap up your nose will hurt you (it won't) or some other reason?
    I'm worried it's not that and some other symptom like brain tumour or something like that. Also worried the smell won't go away. I'm hoping it is just that, but my mind never thinks logically like this I always panic :(

I'm worried it's not that and some other symptom like brain tumour or something like that. Also worried the smell won't go away. I'm hoping it is just that, but my mind never thinks logically like this I always panic :(
    That's what I was wondering you were getting at, but didn't like to say because I didn't want to put ideas in your head...

...but, with all due respect, your anxiety has put a very ridiculous catastrophic thought in your head (it only sprung to my mind too because I know how trains of thoughts of "phantom smells" go on here, not because it's in any way plausible) which you need to get out of there as soon as possible. Sometimes you just get a bit of soap up your nose. I mean, how long has it been there...?

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    That's what I was wondering you were getting at, but didn't like to say because I didn't want to put ideas in your head...

...but, with all due respect, your anxiety has put a very ridiculous catastrophic thought in your head (it only sprung to my mind too because I know how trains of thoughts of "phantom smells" go on here, not because it's in any way plausible) which you need to get out of there as soon as possible. Sometimes you just get a bit of soap up your nose. I mean, how long has it been there...?
    Couple hours. It's mostly gone now. Probably was from the shower, but venting helps me feel better

Thanks for your advice

Couple hours. It's mostly gone now. Probably was from the shower, but venting helps me feel better

Thanks for your advice
    So really you had a soapy smell in your nose directly having a shower, but your brain went straight to phantom smells from a tumour? That's anxiety temporarily bypassing your logical mind there...

If catastrophic thought to that degree is something that's regular, consider getting some help for anxiety (if you're not already).

Thread Information