Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exercise helping depression

exercise helping depression

Probably most folk know this, but for those who have depression along with your anxiety, exercise really helps.
    When I first became unwell this time round, I started running. Not a huge amount, just a little. when I wasn't feeling very fit I would do a run, walk, run etc. I always did this at @ 9 am in the morning, but it doesn't really matter what time you do it, but morning sets you up for the day. On the days I ran, I was less depressed for at least part of that day and at that point, every bit of good I could take was needed!

I am now feeling much better, courtesy of meds, counselling etc but I had let the running slip. I found that I was slipping into that 'can't be bothered' frame of mind. The people I went running with missed me, I missed the 'feel good factor' that I get after it and my weight started to creep up again, all of which made me feel bad!

To cut it short, I re-joined my running group this morning and realised just how much I have been missing this feel good factor that the exercise gives me.

I am not sure of the exact reasons why it helps but I think it releases endorphins into the brain which make you feel good.
    Another bonus is, on the days I run, I sleep better at nights!

So the moral is, 'Get your trainers and trackies on!' run, walk, cycle. swim ( the latternot with your trainers and trackies obviously!) and get some feel good factor in there. No drugs, no or little money!
    happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Re: exercise helping depression

Great post Happyone

I used to go jogging every day when I lived at my mums, since I moved a few years ago I got into the "i cant be bothered" attitude.
    At the moment, I am not as fit as I used to be
    So after reading this post, it has reminded me how good I used to feel after jogging.
    I think I may just get out there and start jogging again especially as the nicer weather is on the way
    It may just give me the pick me up I need

Laura xxx

Smile it freaks people out

Hi Happyone

I have joined a local walking group and its helped me no end, i feel alot fitter as i hadnt had any exercise for years! Its certainly true what you say exercise does help .

If anyone is interested in getting fit by walking heres a link to some local groups
    http://www.yhatrac.org.uk/links.htm

Love

Andrea
    xxx
    Last edited by honeybee3939; 09-05-07 at 14:59.

Im sure it makes a difference. Glad u feeling better

x

Great post Happyone, it really does work, Ive had no anxiety at all since joining the gym, plus walking the dogs everyday........ wonderful results!!!!!

I keep trying to promote exercise but not many believe that it works lol

It cured my panic attacks over time as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

I also have a weight problem, I'm just under 21 stones (I used to be 25 stones a few years ago and got down to 18 but have put 3 back on in the last 18 months).

I recently enquired about the Exercise Referral Scheme ran by local councils and the NHS and the GP said she'd put me onto it no problems and I'd hear about it soon. That was four weeks ago. Is there a waiting time for it?

Cheers

Gordon

Gordon

If it is the same thing we have round here (Bedfordshire) then I tired to get on it but all the activities were in the day and I worked too far away to be able to get back in a lunch hour to join in. I did, however, join the gym and it is quite cheap - £4.50 a session and no membership fees etc.

Maybe give them a nudge and ask if they have referred you yet.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,

the thing I like about exercise is that it doesn't have to cost money.
    BUT, if you spend some money on a gym membership or we have a scheme here whereby we can purchase a card for local authority places and then get in at reduced price, it gives an incentive to some to get their moneys worth! (or is that just us tight scots????)

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Hi HappyOne,

I know I need to do this, have been saying it for years. Tomorrow I am going to start doing some leg lifts and arm exercises. I am always tired from thyroid problems so it will be an effort (just going up the stairs is an achievement, lol). I hope this will help. Thanks for your post.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information