Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anxiety over fleas

Re: Anxiety over fleas

I'm not long back from the vet to buy flea treatment because our new kitties have them and I asked if they can live on humans. I was told they categorically can't. They can live for a very short time on carpets bedding etc which is why they always recommend you use the spray to spray your home but without the pet itself they can't live long.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

P.s

We're not allowed to de-flea the kittens yet either because they are too ickle. So flea drops for big mogs and house spray until at least another week.

Actually there a newish treatment out in tablet form so no messing about with those tiny bottles that the conventaill treatments come in and it works out cheaper and last 3 times as longerm they do one for dogs (so would think they do one for cats too) and extremely effective it's called Bravecto BTW they can bite humans legs and it becomes quite itchy too Cheers

Fleas spend more time in your home in furnishings etc than they do on your pet which is why they are so difficult to eradicate.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/parasites/e...lea_life_cycle

That's what I always thought. I think he meant (with the spray). Bloomin expensive stuff too.

Lisa was looking for flea traps and found this DIY one which looks as though it would work.

http://www.thebugsquad.com/fleas/flea-traps/

Hope you get it sorted, they can be a nightmare to get rid off.

Blimey, I hope I don't have that many. Lol

Luckily the big cats were only done a few weeks ago and it doesn't look like they have any. However better safe than sorry. New Frontline will go on tomorrow and will spray the house. Wee ones go next week for their jags and chipping so fingers crossed we are given the go ahead to do them then.

Thanks for the link.

I wonder if you guys have seen the relatively new (and sadly rather expensive) new flea and tick collar? Seresto? It gives 8 months protection! No sticky messy drops and it really works! I have dogs and cats and they are all wearing a collar now. Maybe worth a look going forward as I found that Frontline just didn't do the job well.
    I was a bit wary because its a cost up front and I was scared the cats might lose the collar but so far so good and not a critter in sight

Hi,
    I was googling and I found this thread... You know, this sounds just like me!
    I adopted a rescue cat a few months ago whom I love with all of my heart. This is the first time I have owned a cat.
    My boy was found to have fleas when he last visited the vet (for an unrelated issue) and I completely freaked out!
    Since then I have been so paranoid. Every time I see a black speck I start worrying. A little black creature just flew on to me and the anxiety started like a wave... I promptly started spraying my bedroom and the upstairs area with anti-flea spray. (My boy was sprawled out downstairs, super comfy, seemingly oblivious to his neurotic owner)
    I wouldn't be without my boy for the world - I love him so much it overwhelms me a little - but I want to be the very best cat mummy that I can be, and it's a bit scary sometimes...
    Wishing everyone well

I really don't even let the thought enter my mind and I let a lot in lol. If I bothered about fleas I'd be in deep dung since I am always wrestling and hugging a furry friend. I don't concern myself with little bugs that much, I like exploring trees and grass so get a lot of passengers, I have thrown tiny things off myself and books several times, I worry more about the big graceful arachnids and persistent moths and vengeful wasps more than the tiny things even though they're more likely to die in your stomach acid.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information