Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Benign fasciculation syndrome

Benign fasciculation syndrome

Hi All,

I have been diagnosed with bfs after seeing neurologist.
    Anyone else have this condition?
    I also have muscle spasms and an electrical type pins and needles sensation in my hands and feet.
    I've looked into Benign fasciculation syndrome and I certainly fit the profile.
    Anybody else have coping mechanisms for dealing with this condition?
    I've tried just ignoring them but they are there 24/7 especially when at rest. Less so when moving around.
    Awful things.
    Need some advice please
    Michelle

Re: Benign fasciculation syndrome

I hope that is what I have. I have been twitching for about 5-6 months now. Started in the left calf (perhaps because I was worried about some swelling in my left knee at the time). Then I had full body twitches, neck twitches, in addition to hip and butt twitches. My thumbs and index fingers twitch every now and then though my pinkies have stopped.

It is annoying, but I am not getting any weaker and any other scary symptoms I have had have other reasonable explanations especially when anxiety is factored in. If I were you I would be very happy with that diagnosis since most neuros will tell you no one has ever had BFS that progressed into something worse.

There is a great site aboutbfs.com that will answer many questions (though sadly the admin is AWOL so they cannot admit new members).

Time to stop worrying about your twitches.

That diagnosis is just another way of saying 'a name for something we can't really describe'.

Don't worry about it.

It's just a side effect of anxiety.

I'm hoping this is what I have and not a dreaded MND! About 5 weeks ago I started with an eyelid twitch, which lasted about two weeks. During that time I got so nervous that I had ALS. Then my mouth tremored/twitches for a good week. Then I started feeling twitching all over my body and for the past week or so I have had twitches in my calves nearly 24/7. My blood work said I had low calcium so maybe that's causing it? I'm going to see a neurologist but they can't get me in until July 19th. I'm so worried :(

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

I should also mention since yesterday my left hand tendons have been hurting so bad! I just want it all to go away.

Good luck with neurologist. I had brain MRI which was clear. Have some problem with my neck. No weakness, just painful joints, sore muscles and twitches 24/7.

Been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Benign fasciculation syndrome.
    I was low in iron so taking Suppliments for 3 mths to build it up. Also I'm taking magnesium to help with the muscle spasms

I've twitched every day, head to toe, for 16 months. Definitely BFS.

Did anything trigger it or did it just start spontaneously?
    Is it in all muscle groups?

I've twitched for 24/7 for 17 months been to the neurologist 5 times had an EMG. I have BFS and it sucks but I'm very thankful. The best thing to do is ignore it. You can let it drive you crazy but f*** that. Just expect them know you are going to have them so no need in checking or timing them just accept them and go about your day.

---------- Post added at 01:54 ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 ----------

My arm started twitching after I thought I had a brain tumor really I had sinusitis. I developed an arm twitch. I googled it and saw ALS a out 2 weeks later I noticed my calves twitching 24/7 that and my 4th toe on my right foot, but I twitch everywhere randomly also. It's tough to ignore but I'm not going to let this control my life. You can do it !

Thank you. They are awful aren't they. Mine started overnight. First in the left calf then within a couple of weeks everywhere. I wonder if they ever do go away. I'm having Cbt for anxiety and practice Mindfullness to calm my brain but they still go every 24/7.

As soon as I wake up first thing I notice is muscle twitches the only time I don't have them is when I'm asleep.

Do you get muscle spasms and pins and needles feeling too? Bit like electricity?

Yes it makes my calves feel like I can't be still. I've gotten pains pins and needles everything. I use to be like that I would wake up and freak out about how bad my calves were twitching.toming them staring at them they would drive me crazy. Ignore them expect them and do t fear them they are being. I learned that staying busy helps with them. Anytime I drink alcohol, don't eat , or don't get enough sleep they increase the facisculations. Just expect and ignore them.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information