Thread: Somatization and Health Anxiety

Somatization and Health Anxiety

Just curious if anyone here is familiar with the work of John Sarno (look him up on Amazon) and others doing similar work...

In my more rational moments I have begun to take a deep interest in the phenomenon of somatization and I really think it's something a lot of HA sufferers are dealing with.

During my brain tumor fears last month I was experiencing daily headaches -- low, dull aches at the back of my head and neck, and shooting pains throughout my head. After my clear MRI, the head pain literally disappeared and my migraines (with aura) decreased too.

Now that I'm onto freaking out about ALS I'm pretty sure I'm manufacturing new symptoms to go along with my fears.

I am curious if anyone else here has struggled with a history of trauma (my mom was chronically ill when I was a child and it was very scary for me, also had very loving/well-meaning but overprotective and critical parents). My HA started when I was very young and I can't help but think it was partly related to some of our family dynamics. I think people are genetically predisposed but it seems like our early emotional experiences are a huge contributing factor.

I am beginning to think that the mind plays a FAR GREATER role in our physical experience of pain/symptoms than what science and medicine has proven thus far.

Just curious to hear others' thoughts.

Re: Somatization and Health Anxiety

Yes, I found comfort in reading about somatization and also body dysmorphia( not in the form of anorexia but general illness) It was good to be able to recognise when my mind was just being tricksy and not realistic.

Hi Leah, I agree it's comforting.

I'm really starting to think that addressing the mind-body aspect of HA is really critical for a lot of us. I know that for me personally, CBT just doesn't cut it. I have done my due diligence with restructuring thoughts and avoiding reassurance-seeking, doing exposures, etc. but the improvements never last, I end up back at square one. I think it's because for me personally there's something deeper that needs to be addressed -- deep seated fears/ideas about illness and the body, safety, control, etc.

I have an appointment this afternoon to speak with a depth psychotherapist. I have always loved the Jungian perspective in the context of my art and my writing but I think it's time I applied it to my own struggles as well. So hopefully that will yield something helpful.

I think this idea of the body and its frailness is a very deep and difficult part of my emotional and spiritual journey as a human. I'm starting to think I'll never recover from OCD/HA without delving into that stuff and letting myself feel whatever feelings are there beneath the anxiety -- I suspect much grief, anger, and sadness.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. I hope these thoughts are in some way useful to somebody else out there!

Quote Originally Posted by worriermama View Post
    Hi Leah, I agree it's comforting.

I'm really starting to think that addressing the mind-body aspect of HA is really critical for a lot of us. I know that for me personally, CBT just doesn't cut it. I have done my due diligence with restructuring thoughts and avoiding reassurance-seeking, doing exposures, etc. but the improvements never last
    I have just spent 12 weeks in a partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient therapyprogram that addressed not only CBT, but DBT, Yoga, Stress/Anger Management, positive assertiveness, relationships, psychoanalysis and we covered the full spectrum of therapies as well as medications and I am very grateful for the time I was able to spend. I gained tools I wouldn't have found elsewhere.

I truly believe that a multi tiered approach is the only way to address what are essentially our core beliefs. I wont say I am cured, but the resources that I have to draw on now make my life happier and easier to manage, if your afforded the opportunity... I recommend it.

Ive been through some incredible stuff in my life, some of it was even real.

-SC

I've read a bit of John Sarno and am very interested in this approach. I too have found that for me, CBT has limited usefulness. It has helped me in the past somewhat to control some of the manifestations of my anxiety, but I've never felt that it has got to the root of my anxiety. I've also read quite a bit of Jung in the past so I'm very interested in this whole approach. I would really like to have some more long term therapy for my anxiety, but since it is so expensive it would be difficult for me to afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphincterclench View Post
    I have just spent 12 weeks in a partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient therapyprogram that addressed not only CBT, but DBT, Yoga, Stress/Anger Management, positive assertiveness, relationships, psychoanalysis and we covered the full spectrum of therapies as well as medications and I am very grateful for the time I was able to spend. I gained tools I wouldn't have found elsewhere.

I truly believe that a multi tiered approach is the only way to address what are essentially our core beliefs. I wont say I am cured, but the resources that I have to draw on now make my life happier and easier to manage, if your afforded the opportunity... I recommend it.
    Sorry to hear you've been through such a tough time that you needed that level of support but I'm glad you have found the help you need from this.

I totally agree about a multi tiered approach. I've never believed in one size fits all, it's a tool kit with varying tools by the individual based on what works...although I'm still working on mine.

Thread Information