Thread: Holter Monitor Nightmare...

Holter Monitor Nightmare...

So to give you brief follow-up I had an episode of SVT in the emergency room..

I followed up with a cardiologist. At the cardiology appointment they do an ekg and of course the 5 vital signs for every appointment. Since this was my first time I was super freaking freaked out I was tachycardia.. 133 and the doctor came in and was like whats going on.. I was like I'm just super anxious. Im 25 and being in this office gives me really bad anxiety. I explained to him that I had health anxiety. He listened to my heart with a stethoscope asking me to breathe.. and he was like its definitely anxiety because I notice when you take a deep breath your heart rate slows down. He tells me that in a few weeks we will do an an echo, holter, and labs. He explained to me that he thinks everything is going to come back fine and the SVT may never happen again.

So I had the echo.. the entire time my heart rate was like high 90's -155ish I was just so anxious. But the tech told me as far as she can see everything looks good (she has been doing this for 40 years) mind you she also said ultimately the dr. has the final say because she can't be held liable.

I have the holter for 48 hours.. currently on day 2 and I'm trying hard to just go along my normal routine.. trying not to think about the anxiety, because I know that will make it worse. But its hard, but I think I have done pretty well for the most part.. anyways day 2.. I logged online to my MYCHART.. which basically gives an overview of all your information.. when I go to see the results from my ekg in the doctors office.. diagnosis from ekg was.. SINUS TACH, ESSENTIAL HYPERTENSION, AND BIATRIAL ENLARGEMENT.. and I completely lost ittttttt. I am sure my heart rate immediately went up to 150. I went into full panic mode. Then I started googling biatrial enlargement and it made my anxiety worse and worse... in my head I am thinking I definitely don't have hypertension..I am not even pre-hypertension.. and why would the doctor seem so calm about this whole thing if thats what the ekg read.. You guys I was so panicked that I literally wanted to rip the holter right off my chest.. I got nervous tummy and everything..... I was soooo freaked out!!! But then i read somewhere, where EKGs have some diagnosis atomically programmed into them and they don't know the individual case basis. So if I was sinus tach the EKG was giving the suggestion of biatrial enlargement even if that isn't necessarily the case... it took me about 45 minutes to calm down.. and now I am thinking a little more rationally. I am 25 it is unlikely that I have biatrial enlargement and I am sure the doctor would have discussed that with me right away. But now I am worried because he is going to see my holter and wonder why the he** my heart rate was going so fast.. and I am sure he is going to think I am some sort of nut case..

Im honestly feeling a little down about it. I hate that my anxiety affects me like this..its so dumb..
    I just want some encouragement.. I'm feeling really down on myself right now :(

---------- Post added 23-06-17 at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was 22-06-17 at 23:51 ----------

Anybody at all? I'm starting to become really depressed

Re: Holter Monitor Nightmare...

Hi.

He knows you have anxiety, right? So then he definitely won't think you're a 'nut case'. He'll just look at the results, consider them, discuss them with you.

Don't worry, you'll be ok.

Re: Holter Monitor Nightmare...

EKG's can 'read' a lot of false information. That's why cardiologists print and READ the actual heart rate vs what the machine says. My machines ALWAYS say something scary because I have muscle twitching.

Sinus Tach just means your hr was over 100. Hell when I am released from the hospital I'm always tachy. Stress and anxiety can do that.

Essential hypertension is high blood pressure that doesn't have a known secondary cause. That can be caused by ANXIETY.

EKG tracing SUCKS and just because it said you had Biatrial enlargement it doesn't mean you do.

Thread Information