Thread: My anxiety issue

My anxiety issue

Hi everyone,

In the last year or so, I have come to accept that I have an anxiety issue, and have probably had it for as long as I can remember.

It seems to have come in stronger and weaker phases throughout my life. Never big enough for me to become entirely dysfunctional (well, maybe once or twice), but often just big enough to be noticeable, and to have an effect on my life.

Symptoms, right now anyway, include finding it difficult to do simple tasks such as walking down the street. Passing by another person can often feel like its own mini-drama - spotting them further up the street, the initial pang of anxiety, getting the "brave face" ready, tensing up as we come closer, the building of anxiety, tense body and looking at the floor, perhaps glancing at their eyes to try to keep up some kind of facade of being a "normal" person, body tenses up some more, then the relief as they pass behind me, and everything feels ok again... until I spot the next person.

I think there is probably also a self-esteem issue that needs to be dealt with here.

When life is great, all these problems seem to dissolve and I can happily walk down the street with a smile and a bounce. But inevitably I find myself back in this place eventually.

I'm happy telling my friends and family about my problems - to a degree - but sometimes there are details that you don't like to go into, for fear of embarrassment, and revealing your true fears. I'm here anonymously in the hope that I might be able to talk about this a little more openly, and also to get some advice from others who are suffering in similar ways.

Thanks for reading, hope to chat to you soon.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya somewhatlost and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: My anxiety issue

Good morning somewhatlost. Where I live we would say, "Your preaching to the choir." In other words there is hardly a soul here in NMP that don't know what your saying. For decades I have worn a mask of the "happy-go-lucky" man. When on the inside the least amount of trouble turned me into a quivering mess. But I hide it well, until one day I could not.

My advice is going to be use this forum to your advantage. Tell the truth use your anonymity here to say whatever you are feeling. Nearly everyday I write on a thread where I describe my victories, my defeats, and frankly my fears. I suggest you try the same. Listen who cares who reads it, the point is it's for you. So don't be afraid to be yourself here. Ask yourself questions. And remember to give yourself, "The benefit of the doubt." Until I learned to love myself "warts and all", I never got anywhere.

Best to you somewhatlost on your journey of finding you.

Thank you @venusbluejeans for the welcome, and @fduop for sharing your story, and advice.

<3

You are not alone here. I have made several friends on this board. Welcome! Find a good CBT therapist. I did and with the help of Zoloft for 20 days, (I couldn't stand the side effects) my therapist gave me tools to deal with my anxiety, not just medicate the symptoms. Good luck!

Hi and welcome to NMP

Thread Information