Thread: Another message of hope (OCD)

Another message of hope (OCD)

Hi, I'm new here but I've been browsing the forum for a while looking up information as I've recently gone back on Fluoxetine.

I was initially prescribed fluoxetine 5-6 years ago as I was suddenly crippled from OCD and I'm not using that term lightly...

I had an affinity towards washing my hands as a teen (which I now realize was milder OCD) but it had calmed down significantly and it had been years since I had any desire to "clean" myself. For all intents and purposes I was a normal college student.

Then suddenly, it all happened. I won't go into details but I started feeling dirty and "unclean" even though there was no physical dirt there. It was as if someone turned a switch and made me a completely different person.

I was staying home all the time, washing my hands every time I felt I got dirty (about thrice an hour). I used half a pack of latex gloves every day and many many packs of sanitizing wipes. When I felt especially dirty I would use raw chlorox bleach on my skin. I would gargle with mouthwash and betadine to clean my mouth. This went on for months and my skin was suffering from the harsh treatment. I was later told I reeked of chlorine during that time.

I hid it from my parents as well as I could but it didn't take long until they realized something was wrong and decided to sent me to a psychiatrist. We could barely afford it but they knew I needed help.

The lady psychiatrist was great and very sympathetic to my problem. After a couple of sessions she put me on 20mg Fluoxetine and advised me that I would potentially face many problems with the side effects until things got better. She said that it would take about a month until I noticed improvement and that I should disregard any thoughts that came to my head while going through this initial stage. While I was on Fluoxetine we continued sessions using cognitive behavioral therapy.

It took more than a month, I'd say about two, until things started improving. I was feeling better and better, feeling less and less inclined to wash my hands obsessively. After a few more months the symptoms had receded to the point where I was mostly functional. With the advice of my psychiatrist I increased the dosage to 40mg daily and things kept improving.

A year later (about 2013) I was back to normal. I went back to college, made new friends and was so proud to be finally free. I still had some of the side effects of SSRIs like hyperhidrosis, somewhat decreased sexual desire and I did gain a lot of weight (though quitting smoking might have been the primary cause of this) but I was so much happier that such little things barely crossed my mind. I wasn't 100% "cured" but I was 99% better, only feeling the need to wash my hands when they were actually physically dirty.

Eventually I graduated, and was conscripted to serve in the army (it's mandatory where I live). While serving I was going on and off fluoxetine because I had to hide the fact that I was taking it.

This brings us to the present day. I completed my mandatory service and started postgraduate studies in a different city and quit fluoxetine, big mistake. It took a while but my OCD came back at full force.

Realizing I was relapsing, I started taking fluoxetine again about a month ago and my symptoms are once again improving though I've lost a lot of ground. I now know I shouldn't have quit and I'll be more careful in the future.

To all those out there suffer from crippling OCD: it gets better. It might take a while and the side effects do suck but your life will be completely turned around. If I hadn't received this treatment I probably wouldn't have graduated and god knows what all that bleach would have done to my skin and lungs. I'm now completing my postgraduate studies, have a loving dog and cats which help me a lot through the hardship of studying. Keep at it, things do get better, I promise.

PS. Please excuse my poor use of English, it's not my mother tongue neither do I reside in an English-speaking country.

Re: Another message of hope (OCD)

Hi, congrats on your college graduation, making it through military service and good luck for your postgraduate studies!

Your's is a wonderful success story! My problems are anxiety and depression so I cannot even imagine how the OCD must have impacted your life. You perservered in spite of all you had to go through.

Thank you for sharing your story and good luck for your second round on fluoxetine.
    I have done exactly what you did - came off my meds (sertraline) and 3 months later the anxiety came back. Now I started fluoxetine and am slowly improving again. Once I am back to being me, I will not ever stop taking my ADs again.

Again, good luck to you! And your English is fantastic! (It's also not my mother tongue). Kali spera.

Thread Information