Thread: Any Long Term Propanolol Users?

Any Long Term Propanolol Users?

Hi there

I Have been on Propanolol for 10 years (40MG Daily)

I Am wondering if there is any other long term users (5+ Years) on the Forum and what there experience of long term use

I appreciate any feedback guys, Thankyou

Re: Any Long Term Propanolol Users?

Hi, I took propranolol from 2007 to 2015. I was started on 80mg slow release capsules and took these until 2012, when I was changed to the normal pills at 40mg...2x20mgs morning and evening.

I was given them initially for raised blood pressure and migraines, but a bonus of them was that they also helped with my 'skipped' heart beats and flutters which I've suffered with for many years.

However, they did have side effects such as very low energy and breathlessness if I walked anywhere, because the heart slows down so there isn't enough oxygen in the blood to cope when extra stamina is needed. Also, because everything slowed down...including digestion, my weight increased which didn't help. In 2010 I was also diagnosed with an underactive thyroid which again didn't help. It's hard to know whether the propranolol or the thyroid caused the side effects though, or a combination of both!

I was switched to another beta blocker in 2015 called Bisoprolol...my doctor also takes these, and they seem to suit my system much better. I'm still trying to shift the weight though

Re: Any Long Term Propanolol Users?

Thankyou for your Response Catherine I'm glad you've found a medication working for you x

Thread Information