Thread: Sweating more on citalopram

Sweating more on citalopram

I have been on citalopram for nearly a year. It has really helped my depression and anxiety but I am finding I get hot easily and quite sweaty. It can be pretty embarrassing as i will be sweaty under my fringe, face, back....not just under my arms I sweat loads at the gym..like it's running down my face and I'm not working out hard enough to warrant that amount of sweat. If I exert myself I get hot flushes and it's embarrassing. Is this normal and does anyone else experience it? I can live with it as the benefits of citalopram outweigh being a sweaty betty, but I just wondered if anyone else has experienced it.

Re: Sweating more on citalopram

Quote Originally Posted by Little Voice View Post
    I can live with it as the benefits of citalopram outweigh being a sweaty betty, but I just wondered if anyone else has experienced it.
    Unfortunately, sweating (hyperhidrosis) is a reasonably common SSRI side-effect. It usually isn't anything to worry about, but it can be a pain in the butt.

Small 1mg doses of the blood pressure medication terazosin (Hytrin) have been shown to significantly reduce SSRI induced sweating, as has oxybutynin (Ditropan) which is prescribed for overactive bladders, but I suspect doctors would be reluctant to prescribe them. It might be worth discussing this with your pharmacist as there may be effective topical preparations that reduce sweating.

BTW-serotonergic antidepressants can also increase skin photo-sensitivity so applying a high SPF sunblock if outdoors for extended periods is a good idea.

Thread Information