Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old blood results

Old blood results

So its been a while since I had my CBC done, and with this recent HA I started obsessing over getting another one done, but GP says there's no reason to do so.

Anyway I called the office and had the nurse mail me my most recent results which were from February of last year. Well I got them back and didn't really like what I seen.

Everything was normal except my WBC and my lymph count. WBC was 12.0 when normal range is 3.4-10.8. And my lymps were 4.6 when normal range is 0.7-3.1. So I called my nurse back and she said it was nothing to worry about. That I may have had a cold at the time. She didn't seem concerned at all for a retest?

My question is has anyone had something similar? And how high is too high on a blood test? Still super stressed about it...

Re: Old blood results

The past has nothing new to say so don't visit! Why are you stressing over an old blood test? You had a cold, it's normal for the results to be high. Drop it and focus on the now.

Thats the thing, I remember going for my test and I wasn't sick. I felt fine.

And the reason I wanted the results is bc I mentioned checking my thyroid and she said my most recent results were fine, then I just got curious and wanted to see all the counts.

Quote Originally Posted by sdoxo View Post
    Thats the thing, I remember going for my test and I wasn't sick. I felt fine.

And the reason I wanted the results is bc I mentioned checking my thyroid and she said my most recent results were fine, then I just got curious and wanted to see all the counts.
    Same situation as you - in March this year my WBC was 7.2 and my Esophil was 0.1
    I had a CBC done Sunday just gone and the WBC is 8.9 and the Esophil 0.3

The time before this my WBC and the differential blood counts were all the same - funny thing is my RBC remain the same reading throughout the year!!! And same like you, I have no cold this time round

Normal "ranges" are just that... a "range" of readings that are considered normal. A reading can be slightly above or below that range and still be completely fine as in this case and may others. It's when you see highly abnormal readings above or below a "range" that the red flag goes up.

If they're not concerned, you shouldn't be either.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I trust my doctor, I don't even know what my "ranges" are. If the doctor tells me I'm healthy then so be it. Case closed.

"Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important then this one. But then you miss your whole life which is never not now." Eckart Tolle

I know I should just let it go and trust my doctor, which is so much easier said than done lol. It's just odd to me that they dont care to retest to seeif thry are back to normal range

Trusting your doctor is not some Herculean task that requires hours and hours of devotion to succeed at.

It's a simple equation: do you trust your doctor's training and experience and then live your life, or do you continue responding to your amygdalas every time they start misfiring or focusing on those little gaps where a reading is slightly out or a doctor makes an occasional mistake? It's a stark choice, but that's the nub of it. If you choose the latter, who will you ever trust? Or will you ruin your life by searching aimlessly for answers that never come?

Please note, I'm not saying anxiety is something you should just get over. But it has a habit of tricking you into thinking your problems and fears are complex. They can usually be reduced to simple choices: do you live in the now, or keep fighting against nothing and making yourself more and more miserable? That was the decision I was faced with. I chose the former. It's important to get help with this, though.
    Last edited by ServerError; 29-06-17 at 17:22.

Thank you for your reply server! My rational brain knows it's just my anxiety. I am in the process of getting a handle on that as well. Just started a new form of meds, and waiting on my GP to call and schedule my therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by sdoxo View Post
    I know I should just let it go and trust my doctor, which is so much easier said than done lol. It's just odd to me that they dont care to retest to seeif thry are back to normal range
    I'm with Server here, it's not more easily said than done to trust medical professionals.

In one corner, a person with a decade of gruelling medical training and however much clinical experience.

Their opponent: an anxious catastrophising mind with access to Google and a layman's understanding of medical issues.

There should be no contest into which of those to trust. If they were at all worried, you'd know about it. And they know what they're talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information