Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tingling/burning sensations that come and go. Is this MS?

Tingling/burning sensations that come and go. Is this MS?

I've been so nervous this past month I can't handle it anymore.

Since May 12 of this year I've been dealing with on and off tingling burning in my extremities. I figured it was just anxiety/stress as I've had a terrible year and have never been so anxiety ridden in my life.

It started in my left hand/arm and two weeks later was in my left foot. The tingling/prickling/burning sensations are usually not in one specific spot on these extremities, they kinda fluctuate and manifest in different areas of my hand and foot. One minute my left ankle will tingle/buzz, the next day my left foot feels like its on fire, the next day I get stabbing sensations in my toes on the same foot. It seems to fluctuate with little consistency.

Today, I now have a burning sensation in my right foot. This is the first time since this started over a month ago that a right side extremity has been affected. My left hand and left foot seem fine today (so far)

I've also been getting other random symptoms such as left temple throbbing/pressure (painless) and when I look left or right and bend my neck I get a crackling/grinding noise. I haven't had any complete numbness or loss of feeling but I have had some dizziness lately.

I'm so scared that this is MS. I went to my doctor only for him to prescribe a vitamin supplement and schedule a nerve conduction test which I'm pretty sure won't show if I have MS. I was so sure this was just anxiety as I've been hyper focused on this for over a month but because it has lasted so long, I'm beginning to get concerned. Can anyone offer any advice?
    Last edited by Ryzinn; 30-06-17 at 18:07.

I am literally so scared I have MS. Anybody have exp with this?

I've been so nervous this past month I can't handle it anymore.

Since May 12 of this year I've been dealing with on and off tingling burning in my extremities. I figured it was just anxiety/stress as I've had a terrible year and have never been so anxiety ridden in my life. (especially health anxiety)

It started in my left hand/arm and two weeks later was in my left foot. The tingling/prickling/burning sensations are usually not in one specific spot on these extremities, they kinda fluctuate and manifest in different areas of my hand and foot and come and go at random.

For example, One day my left ankle will tingle/buzz, the next day my left foot feels like its on fire, the next day I get stabbing sensations in my toes on the same foot. It seems to fluctuate with little consistency.

Today, I now have a burning sensation in my right foot. This is the first time since this started over a month ago that a right side extremity has been affected. My left hand and left foot seem fine today (so far).

I've also been getting other random symptoms such as left temple throbbing/pressure (painless) and when I look left or right and bend my neck I get a crackling/grinding noise that I can hear and some frequent urination. I haven't had any complete numbness or loss of feeling but I have had some dizziness lately.

I'm so scared that this is MS. I went to my doctor only for him to prescribe a vitamin supplement and schedule a nerve conduction test which I'm pretty sure won't show if I have MS. I was so sure this was just anxiety as I've been hyper focused on this for over a month but because it has lasted so long, I'm beginning to get concerned. He also told me stress/anxiety usually doesn't just manifest in one side but I am now getting unusual sensations in my right foot as well. Idk. Can anyone offer any advice?

TLDR: Tingling in left arm/hand, 2 weeks later started tingling in my foot, a month later now my right foot is burning/tingling as well. Sensations very from day to day, but predominately hits my left foot and hand. Help?

Re: I am literally so scared I have MS. Anybody have exp with this?

Well to start off, the good thing is that your in a doctors care. Luckily, you have expressed all your feelings to him and he will do what he is supposed to. I highly doubt it's MS, especially considering the fact that your in a health anxiety board. We tend to worry and expect the complete worse. Follow-up with your doctor, express all your concerns, and ask him all your questions. He will be able to calm you down a lot better. I am sure you will be fine

Re: I am literally so scared I have MS. Anybody have exp with this?

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully you're right! I'm so tired of worrying about this. :(

From tingling to dizziness. I just want to feel normal again. :(

So I posted a thread a few days back about an on again off again tingling/burning/prickling sensation that I've been getting in my left hand and left foot for over a month now.

Over the course of this past week I've also been getting really strange dizzy/light headedness spells that kinda come and go as well. Mostly when I'm in public and walking around. I don't get them as much when I'm just sitting in my own home but admittedly I do feel a bit light headed at the moment.

What kills me is I literally just saw my doctor and failed to mention this symptom. I'm hoping its just my HA but its kinda striking me at random, when I'm not even feeling all that anxious. Anybody else get this?

*sigh* If this is just anxiety, I'm kind of annoyed I've let myself get this bad.

Re: From tingling to dizziness. I just want to feel normal again. :(

Anxiety can cause pins/needles/numbness etc at seemingly random intervals. It's to do with breathing I believe.

It's same for lightheadness/dizziness.

It's a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ocdbaking View Post
    Anxiety can cause pins/needles/numbness etc at seemingly random intervals. It's to do with breathing I believe.

It's same for lightheadness/dizziness.

It's a pain.
    It really is. Idk if it's my breathing or what, I don't feel like i'm breathing unusually but I was having some shortness of breath issues before all this started in early May.

In the middle of getting myself worked up I always get symptoms like this. They diminish when I finally distract myself and my brain gets on a different track. Some of the CBT tenets help me to avoid those symptoms of panic. I think of a stop sign, which is my symbol for "this isn't real, but it will continue if I continue to spend time focused on these strange feelings". I do better these days with distraction techniques. Dizziness, trembling, depersonalization, tunnel vision, etc used to follow me around during episodes of panic A LOT.

Lightbulb Does anybody else find it somewhat interesting? (the MS scare)

After hanging out on this forum for the past week and reading a lot of different posts from a wide variety of people going through similar situations as to what I'm going through, I find it somewhat fascinating how the mind can influence the body in such profound ways.

Like many of you, I consulted Dr. Google, I read symptoms and stories and testimonies from those who had MS and really (even somewhat still) believed I have MS. It's good to recognize, however, that I'm not alone with this fear.

We get these random physical sensations (tingling, weakness, dizziness, twitching, etc.) and they just seem so real and profound when in reality it's usually just anxiety and that fear causing them. We get a random sensation and it sends us into a tailspin.

I suppose it's not just MS either, It's the dreaded C word and other random diseases as well.

Maybe it's just because I'm new to the concept of health anxiety but its so fascinating to me how paranoid we get, how we use this medium (the internet) for relief, and how ultimately we end up in full blown panic. I'm surprised there's not more literature/articles out there on the subject other than what you can find on aboutBFS, AnxietyCentre, and this website right here.

Good luck to you all, I'm glad I'm not alone in this weird little struggle of ours.
    Last edited by Ryzinn; 15-07-17 at 16:41. Reason: merge

Re: Does anybody else find it somewhat interesting? (the MS scare)

The symptoms of anxiety are so real and so physical! Also, if you look up somatization you will find that the body can actually produce symptoms that you are anxious about. I have lost count of the number of times I've been a complete idiot and googled, feeling temporarily reassured that I don't have XYZ symptom, only to develop it a day or two later! I am constantly amazed (in a bad way) at the things anxiety can do to our bodies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information