Thread: Buspar question?

Buspar question?

Is Buspar meant to be a short term agent for anxiety? I have been on it for about 18 months. Something I read on here recently made me think it might be for short term use. I am truly not sure if it's working for me or not. I have bouts of health anxiety even while being on it. So, I am now worried that being on it for so long might be detrimental.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Buspar question?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurseanxiety View Post
    Is Buspar meant to be a short term agent for anxiety?
    No, for long term, much the same as antidepressants.

I am truly not sure if it's working for me or not. I have bouts of health anxiety even while being on it.
    Buspar is a GAD specific med that alone rarely works for other anxiety disorders such as health anxiety which is in the OCD spectrum. It may, however, boost the effectiveness of serotonergic antidepressants and reduce some of their side-effects.

So, I am now worried that being on it for so long might be detrimental.
    It won't have done you any harm, except maybe by stopping you from taking a more effective med.

Thanks PDU. Always appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurseanxiety View Post
    Is Buspar meant to be a short term agent for anxiety? I have been on it for about 18 months. Something I read on here recently made me think it might be for short term use. I am truly not sure if it's working for me or not. I have bouts of health anxiety even while being on it. So, I am now worried that being on it for so long might be detrimental.

Thanks.

It might be that you read it's only used in the short term in the UK.

It was felt that evidence of long term effectiveness was lacking and so was licenced for short term use with specific advice against long term use. That's why you see mainly US members discussing it and rarely UK ones.

Later generics just piggyback the original licence request so they didn't provide anything to change it for their brand.

Psychiatrists do off label it for long term use over here though as some members I've known have been on it.

Your FDA may have a different opinion to our MHRA & EMA.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information