Thread: Propranolol Side Effects HELP

Propranolol Side Effects HELP

Hi,

I started on Propranolol 80mg Half Beta Prograne on Wednesday. It has calmed me down a lot but today I feel like my side effects are terrible.

I have a burning sensation in my chest and I'm scared my heart is failing... although my doctor told me its just simply not possible. I've had terrible insomnia since starting which I haven't experienced in years.

I'm scared that this medication is affecting my heart.

I feel sick too.

I feel very anxious today which kinda defeats the point of being on this medication.

Has anyone had similar side effects? Or what side affects in general have you experienced?

I just want to feel better I'm so tired of being anxious :(

Re: Propranolol Side Effects HELP

Propranolol is one of the oldest of the beta blockers but many doctors still rely on it to treat high bp as well as anxiety. It works by controlling how much adrenaline affects your heart...it slows it down which is why you felt so calm. But it also slows other systems down such as digestion which might account for the burning in your chest. Perhaps the sleeplessness you're experiencing is because you are worrying about taking this med?

I took it for 8 years from 2007 to 2015 and there were some side effects , but mine were not as you describe, but then everyone is different in how meds affect us. I now take a different beta blocker called Bisoprolol which seems to suit me better. If you think it's the propranolol rather than your anxiety about taking them, then perhaps have another chat with your doctor about the possibility of changing to another to see if you feel any better.

Hi Catherine,

As you have taken Propranolol for a while. I have been taking just one 10mg to help keep the adrenaline at bay.

I now feel that I want to stop taking this and try and get better on my own, my doctor said I can just take this tablet as and when I feel the need. Did you have any side effects when you stopped taking this (I am only on a very small dose).

Weaselwoo xx

You will be fine Weaselwoo. As your GP has said you can take them as and when. Only issue I had was a dry mouth and the fact it took 90 mins to get started.

Plus, with exercise your heart rate will not raise too high, so you may feel fatigue sooner.

Oxoshannon, trust the meds, you could be making yourself anxious by worrying about them. Take them with food, you could be getting a bit of acid reflux, hence the chest burning.

Weasel, I didn't have any problems coming off propranolol because I was changed over to another beta blocker so there was no gap between the two. However, I have gone almost a week without them from time to time without any adverse reaction.

With the new med, Bisoprolol, I only take 10mg daily and apparently this is the equivalent dose to 40mgs of propranolol. But your doc is correct in that you can take the small doses only when you feel the need rather than every day If that suits you best. If your anxiety is more or less under control you might only get the occasional bad day so not necessary to take them every day.

I think you'll be fine as 10mg of propranolol is quite a low dose.

Last edited by Catherine S; 03-07-17 at 11:47.

Thanks Bike Rider and Catherine.

I am going to try today without taking a tablet, I am just a worrier and think the worse all the time. I have been in this situation before and beat it without medication so I have to remain positive and try and kick this anxiety up the backside.

Thanks.

Thread Information