Thread: Feeling unsafe in my own home.

Feeling unsafe in my own home.

Last year I was burgled, coming home from work late at night to find 3 men in my home. It was awful but life continued and my anxiety was fine. However over the last couple of months I've become absolutely petrified that someone will break in during the night. It's got to the point that it's all I can think of and I don't want to go to sleep because then I won't hear someone if they do try to break in. I was just starting to be in a really good place and now I'm terrified to be in my own home. I don't know what to do. I feel as though I'm going crazy and I don't understand why this would happen nearly a year and a half after the burglary. Contrary to my username I am female and all I can think of is what could happen if they do get in. I've never been afraid to be at home before and it's the worst feeling I've had in a long time.

Re: Feeling unsafe in my own home.

Quote Originally Posted by oscar1 View Post
    Last year I was burgled, coming home from work late at night to find 3 men in my home. It was awful but life continued and my anxiety was fine. However over the last couple of months I've become absolutely petrified that someone will break in during the night. It's got to the point that it's all I can think of and I don't want to go to sleep because then I won't hear someone if they do try to break in. I was just starting to be in a really good place and now I'm terrified to be in my own home. I don't know what to do. I feel as though I'm going crazy and I don't understand why this would happen nearly a year and a half after the burglary. Contrary to my username I am female and all I can think of is what could happen if they do get in. I've never been afraid to be at home before and it's the worst feeling I've had in a long time.
    Would it be possible to get a big dog? Something to look after the house while you sleep? Doesn't even have to be a guard dog. Just big and looks menacing. Could be a complete softie.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a cat and unfortunately he was rescued from a house with a dog that would bully him so I don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by oscar1 View Post
    I have a cat and unfortunately he was rescued from a house with a dog that would bully him so I don't think so
    I got no more advice, I have thought about what I used to do. I used to have the issue too until we got a dog see, I'm a light sleeper and even if someone broke in, if the dog barking don't scare them off maybe me coming out swinging might. You just gotta think it's a very rare occasion to be burgled, to be honest can't say I understand I've never had anyone intrude my house touch wood, but it happened a while ago. Why the sudden fear again? As long as you lock your doors and windows chances are you would wake up if someone broke a window or whatever to get in and you'd hear it and be ready. Get yourself a weapon, so if ever someone does come in you're ready to at least look like you're gonna do damage. Most burglars ain't ready to lose their life for a TV and a PlayStation. A bat. Knife. Hell even a gun if you're in the US. Anything to deter someone. I couldn't really help you much more I suck at this sorta thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Oscar,

I've sent you a pm. sending you some hugs:

Hi. Have you thought about a powerful outside light that comes one when people approach? You could also invest in dummy alarm and CCTV camera boxes, that's the cheap option.

If you bought real CCTV then you have them recorded. May be a big investment, but it would be worth it.

Do you have a burglar alarm? They would also give you a panic button to press if someone got in.

Also make sure you have your mobile phone with you so you can call 999 wherever you are.

It's probably quite rare that you'd be targeted again.

I wish you well.

I was burgled as well but now have an alarm fitted. Feel so much better.

agree Dog or Alarm A dog well I have one boy does it let me know when some on is at the door. cats not a problem dogs can be trained to get on with cats and in most cases dogs will learn if it gets to close to a cat it will be clawed but would say in your case have a alarm fitted or CCTV I have that too Cheers

Oscar, you obviously have some PTSD from this. Have you seen a therapist? I hate to tell you, but you could get the world's biggest dog and the best alarm system and still be anxious without treatment.

Thread Information