Thread: Did Prozac alleviate your anxiety?

Did Prozac alleviate your anxiety?

I'm almost certainly going to start a course of Prozac this week, at a starting dose of 10mg. My only previous experience with an SSRI was Citalopram 20mg for a month. Obviously that wasn't long enough to form any judgement, but I did experience some side effects. I've always been very resistant to taking antidepressants, but I'm still struggling with anxiety, years on from the traumatic initiating incident, and I can't rely on Diazepam. I've settled on Prozac as the one I'm most comfortable taking.

Can anyone reassure me with some Prozac success stories, particularly in combating severe health anxiety bordering on OCD. I used to get panic attacks frequently but now it's flattened out into a day-to-day anxiety which rarely culminates in a panic attack, but is still very difficult as I'm in a nearly constant state of tension with, presumably, high cortisol and adrenaline much of the time. It's exhausting, and I've developed mild OCD tics as a way to divert attention from my bodily sensations. I'm also unable to convince myself that there's nothing wrong with my heart, despite lots of evidence to the contrary.

Any help or advice will be appreciated. What can I expect exactly when/if the Prozac works?

Re: Did Prozac alleviate your anxiety?

Do you mind me asking what ocd tics you have developed?
    I am currently on prozac and used it a few years ago too. Its the only antidepressants that gives me no side effects and I have used a few different ones. I hate taking them but had to go back on them in March as was in constant panic mode. Unfortunately it hasn't stopped the panic attacks but it did in the past. I think it should work good for you. I had been taking valium as and when as I didn't want to go back on an anti d but after a couple of months the valium made my panic attacks worse and I was unable to fight the panic without takign a valium. I am now on pregabalin which is helping more right now as evidence suggests that the use of benzos can stop anti d's from working, S

Quote Originally Posted by Turnaround00 View Post
    Do you mind me asking what ocd tics you have developed?
    I am currently on prozac and used it a few years ago too. Its the only antidepressants that gives me no side effects and I have used a few different ones. I hate taking them but had to go back on them in March as was in constant panic mode. Unfortunately it hasn't stopped the panic attacks but it did in the past. I think it should work good for you. I had been taking valium as and when as I didn't want to go back on an anti d but after a couple of months the valium made my panic attacks worse and I was unable to fight the panic without takign a valium. I am now on pregabalin which is helping more right now as evidence suggests that the use of benzos can stop anti d's from working, S
    The tics? Oh, various things, from playing with my beard, to tying my shoelaces over and over, to using my fingernails like floss, to putting my hand over my heart. Just anything that requires a little bit of concentration seems to help in some way, but obviously it's not very healthy.

Citalopram to Fluoxetine

Give my ramblings a read, will tell you a lot.

Just interested as I too have little tics. Like I sometimes want to double touch something such as if I pick up a cup and put it down I sometimes pick it up again and put it back down. Also check the door handle everytime I go passed door. Thinks its all just built up anxiety and stress and thats how it comes out. I am good at hiding my little tics though luckily

Thread Information